MOTHER Hunting Pack

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Islander, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Islander

Islander Steve

First the "disclaimer". I have no affiliation with this company. :ray1:

My old hunting vest has been getting pretty ratty so I thought it was time for an upgrade. I have been looking at these packs for a while but being a cheap a$$ old retired guy, I'd put off buying one as they were a bit more than a traditional vest. I finally decided it would be worth a few more bucks to get the extra features the pack offers, plus they had a Day Pack model as a web special. The pack came today and I must say they are even better in person than they look on the website. It appears well built and adjusted to fit very comfortably. I loaded it up with all the stuff (ammo included) I take for a day in the field and walked around the house for a while. I even went out back and hiked the hills in the trees. It was super, felt like I was carrying nothing at all. Didn't flop around and shift like my old vest. Next week I'll give it a real field test and chase grouse for a day or two. So far, I'm really impressed.

2. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Steve, I also have a Mother vest. For everything but forest hunting for grouse, it works really well. Mine has the pouch for my CamelBak and it works well. The pack carries the weight on the shoulders and the hips, as a result it balances well. The only down side is the strap takes some getting used to when bringing your gun to your shoulder, it feels different if you stop to notice it. If you're shooting fast and instincual, you don't know it's there.

For forest hunting I use a shorter, lighter vest so I can carry a sidearm in crossdraw.

3. martyg

martyg Active Member

Steve - Thanks for your kind comments.

4. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    I have a Mother vest, too, and am very pleased with it. I haven't used the camel pack for water but likely will this year. L.L. Bean has a similar vest for comparison. I still think the Mother would be the better of the two.

5. Mike McAvoy

Mike McAvoy olddog22202

The new dog and I have made some fruitless trips searching for grouse and wearing either an old Filson or new Mother's Day vest. Tradition aside, gotta say I feel a bunch safer decked out in orange plus the Mother pack seems to carry the "stuff" with less effort. Wish I knew how to water the dog from the camelback thing without taking off the vest and pouring it out the fill spout .... darned if I am going to teach Jesse how to suck water out of the same tube I might use.
    Mich

6. J.Butch

J.Butch New Member

I just got my Mother Day Pack delivered this weekend. VERY nice pack! Can't wait to actually use outside. My wife thinks I'm nuts for walking around the house with it on...

7. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    What, you don't like dog spit...:clown: I carry two sport bottles with squirt top for Sasha, there's two stretch pouches on the vest, I'm not sure if the day pach has them...

8. Islander

Islander Steve

Roper: I think I found a way to carry the pistol with the pack. Doesn't make for easy on/off though. I'll try it tomorrow.

Marty: Your welcome. I call them as I see them. I'll let you know more after my trip.

Mike Mc. Sr: I've never used one of those "bladder" things. Seems like a lot of extra work to clean with the tube and all. I'm afraid I'd let it go to long and then be drinking stanko water. Guess I'm old fashion. I just take a water bottle (used 1 liter soda bottle with screw cap) and put it in my pouch. I tried using one of the side pockets but they aren't really shaped for bottles because the pack is meant for the bladder set up.

9. Mike McAvoy

Mike McAvoy olddog22202

Hey Roper and Islander,
    Thanks for the tips on the water bottle for the dog. That ought to work except..... yesterday the Griff pointed and held his FIRST GROUSE ever. I limped along behind murmuring quiet prayers but the bird flushed in some awful thick stuff and I never got a shot.

Jesse may be drinking out of the tube and he can have first draw if he keeps finding birds!
    Mich

10. Cliff

Cliff Member

I've been using a Quilomene All Day Vest for a few years now. I hunt mostly arid chukar land and sagebrush quail so I need to haul water for me and the dogs. My little English setter is an incredible water pig. The Quilomene allows me to bring a LOT of water for both of us. It's not perfect, though, and I would like to try one of the Mothers Vests out sometime.

11. seekm

seekm chris

Media:
    At the risk of sounding like a Mother nuthugger (boy that doesn't sound right) I have the day pack and the mission and think they are great.

Carrying enough water for myself and two dogs along with my other gear for a long day of chasing chukar makes for a pretty heavy pack. The fact that they are built like backpacks with the weight carried at the hips and stabilized at the shoulders makes the load more comfortable to carry and more stable when getting into dicey terrain.

12. Islander

Islander Steve

Part Two, Field Test:
    It was only a day and a half but I must say I was pretty impressed with this pack in the field. When I hunt I like to spend most of my time hunting as apposed to driving. On Wed. I hunted from 7am until 4pm. I got in the truck twice to move to different access points, about 10 minutes each time. The rest of the day was in the field with the pack on. Because I stay out long and years of being in the Boy Scouts, I carry a lot of stuff. When I started the day is was snowing and when I finished I was down to just jeans and one long sleeve shirt. The pack carried everything I needed and still felt balanced and comfortable even with a ton of layering clothes attached to the shock cords on the back. I really liked the magnetic catches on the front pockets, they were strong enough to really work. Also the snaps are on a piece of material that you can get a finger under to close them. I find it much easier than trying to push them closed pushing against a lumpy pocket full of shells. Even though some of these things are small little details, when you open and close, snap and unsnap, get in and out constantly all day they make a difference. I even tried out the gun sock/carry set up. I must admit I wasn't sure it it would be very secure, but it worked great and the gun stayed in place without any movement. The side mesh pouches didn't work well with my water bottles but I was able to put them in the game bag which I could still access with out taking off the pack. They worked great for some extra food and my gloves though and I can't blame the pack as it is designed for the bladder set up. One of these days I catch up to the 21st century. At the end of the day the only thing hurting was my feet, the sign of a good pack.

13. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    If you want a good test of body, dog and equipment I'll hook you up with one of my hunting buddies. He does a hunt he calls "the Crab Creek Death March". I've done it three times and the last time was indeed the last time. I always carry a lot of water for me and the dog but I ran out about a mile from the truck. We weren't in real danger, just thirsty. I'll probably start using the camel pack in the Mother vest this year in addition to carrying a few extra bottles.

14. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

From the "For the what it's worth department...:" I was at Sportmens Warehouse (old name) in Federal Way on Sunday shopping for hunting clothes for my 16 year old granddaughter and discovered the "Mothers" packs there - damn near bought one - but she needs so much other gear first....so I'll just wait until they are out of them (as usual!) and then go and try to buy one for her!

Jus' thot you'd like to know they are available locally.....

Jc:beer2:

15. mtbshark

mtbshark New Member

sorry for the spam and all.

but i have a currant model Mother day pack that i bought last year that needs a good home. AKA for sale.
    it is a rad pack, i just found it to small for what i need in a pack.
    i would love a mission pack but am low on $$$$, and they aint cheep.

16. J.Butch

J.Butch New Member

Just shot a grouse today using my new Mother Pack and new gun... Fantastic!

17. Islander

Islander Steve

Great photo. :thumb:

18. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    Thanks for the invite...jerk. BTW - am I not supposed to accompany you? This will only bring bad karma for you. :clown: