Mountain Bike to walk in lakes???

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by greendrake, May 18, 2006.

1. greendrake

greendrake New Member

Does anyone know if its ok to bicycle in to the walk in lakes, like Dusty, or the Seep lakes??

Tight lines,

Greendrake

2. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

I would think that you could bike into Dusty from the west end, the long way. There is basically a road that comes in from the west end and a lot of horses come in from that direction. Not sure that I would want to bike in from the east side, steep/rocky in places with a lot of basalt.
    In general, I could see no legal reason you could not use a bike on many of the hike in lake trails on the east side.

3. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Media:
    The only restriction I know of (which is probably why you are asking) has to do with designated wilderness areas where no wheeled devices are allowed. I know guys take their pontoons on wheeled devices into these lakes, so a bike should be fine.

wb

4. toddsbernina

toddsbernina New Member

Media:
    At most trail heads there is a sign posted that says what kind of traffic is allowed on the trail. e.g. horses, bikes, foot. But I've never been to either of those lake so i don't know.

5. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Although I've never tried it at desert lakes, I use my Trek hardtail to shorten the hike to a number of my favorite westside spots.

The walk in to Lenice, Nunnally and Dusty isn't all that hard or long so it doesn't seem like you'd gain that much of an advantage using a bike to get there. The lakes (and some streams too) that I bike in to would take an hour or more to hike to so the bike makes sense in those cases.

The main downside to my bike setup is that using a backpack instead of panniers to haul gear means the center of gravity is high and makes me feel a bit top-heavy, especially on uneven surfaces.

K

6. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Media:
    Back in the day my buddies and I would go into Dusty with everything but the Kitchen sink. Rickshaws and kiddy carts can pack a bunch of stuff !!!!:beer2:

7. Porter

Porter Active Member

Damn...you're not kidding! :)

8. martinrjensen

martinrjensen BambooBoy

Home Page:
    yea, I've never figured out that center of gravity thing too. Makes it kind a hard in some spots. If you ever figure out something that works well, post it eh?
    martin