mountain lions: any repellents?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by speyday, Sep 17, 2009.

1. speyday

speyday Rod tubes in the overhead compartment

Are there any scents or things you could do around your tent at night to reduce the odds of an enounter with mountain lions? I've found that cougars are repelled by the bright flash of a wedding ring. But seriously.........none in my area, and will be camping in an area that has em.

thanks,

2. Keaten LaBrel

Keaten LaBrel Formerly Tyinbugs

Media:
    i don't know about mountain lions, but takin a whiz around a carcass keeps coyotes and wolves away...just bring a gun

3. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

I wouldn't worry about it so much around tents. You don't hear of them ripping into tents and hauling people away. They are a stalking hunter. Even if you had a "repellent" when walking around, chances are they would be on you before you could even use. Sidearm, the ultimate repellent.

4. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

You could surround your tent with "M18A1's". Good for pretty everything.:D

5. Snake

Snake tryin' not to get too comfortable

You are far more likely (statistically speaking) to die in a car accident driving to your camping spot, than die of a cougar attack after you are camped out there.

If you are afraid of nature, don't venture into it. We've constructed plenty of safe havens, much to the detriment of the world.

Or embrace the uncertainty. The fear. The knowledge that you are no longer the top of the food chain.

Camping in an environment with a predator that can KILL AND EAT YOU is humbling.

Take it for what it is. Accept your fate. Appreciate it. Learn from it.

But for God's sake, don't go out and buy a gun for protection from cougars, as a reaction to this post and the replies, unless you have the knowledge and training to do so. There's already too may guns in this world, and not enough sense.

Anyway, bottom line: I wouldn't really worry about cougs raiding a tent at night. I'd check my six every now and the while I'm hiking in the day, though...............

6. Michael Thompson

Michael Thompson the flavor of BADFISH

Home Page:
    buying repellant for a cougar is like buying a lotto ticket so you can win some money to tide you over till payday. either way you would be better off saving your money.

7. koolminx

koolminx Member

IF you CURRENTLY own a pistol, take it with you in an open carry (to avoid legal issues- unless you have a CCW).

Scott said they would be on you before you could draw, which is correct, but Mountain Lions don't Kill you with a swipe of their Paw, {like that Grizzly and the old lady with the broom in the Grizzly movie from 1972}, They MAUL you to death taking a hold of you , usually around the head or neck, ignoring your arms & legs, and making you bleed out... Realistically, you have plenty of time after it starts chewing on your ass, to draw your weapon and shoot and kill it, IF you can keep your wits about you.

Now, I do want to say that it's extremely unlikely that it will happen to you. And the BEST deterrent is your voice. Cougars/Mountain Lions know the food chain instinctively, and 99% of them KNOW our voices and stay away from us, as their feed consists of creatures that cannot TALK and smell much better than we do... Animals do not like Chanel No. 5, Brute or Speed Stick. Cur deodorants and perfumes have chemicals invade their senses, and they also avoid that.

So you can safely rest assured, that if your fishing companion and yourself enjoy each others company and have conversation to and from your fishing hole each day, and are all the while safely confined in your ACCFF {Anti Cougar Chemical Force Field} of Old Spice and Lady Speed Stick, that you will NOT BECOME COUGAR SCAT. :D :D

koolminx

8. Tom Johnston

Tom Johnston Been around a while

Media:
    15 rounds of 9 milli! thats all you need. May not need them because before you know it the lion will be on top of you and pulling a gun out loading the chamber(unless you are one of them pshyco dudes that has to have one in the chamber along with a full magazine) and aiming it and pulling the trigger. seams that would take a whole lot of practice! I would just steer away from places like that if you fear a little. If you have kids or kids are going change your mind. Kids are like a truffle to mountain lions.

9. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    No offense, but it sounds like you should stay where you are--you know, where its cozy and safe. Is there cougar repellent? Unfuckingreal! :rofl:

10. Warmonger

Warmonger newt

when hunting elk in MT we always carried a side arm,. Yes, most likely the cats will stalk you then go away. but !!!!!! be safe side arm should be greater than a 9MM!

11. cutthroatking

cutthroatking screw work lets fish

Teen-age hippie boys!!One summer a few years ago my wife,kids and I were camping and my oldest son(the smelly hippie boy)wanted to sleep under the stars to comune better with mother nature(picture eye rolling here)When I woke up the next morning I saw BIG cat prints all around him and walking off.He didn't even wake up.I told him about it and he said that after last night he felt as close to mother nature as he needed to be.Laughed my ass off.

john

12. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

Media:
    I'm pretty sure bear spray would work on a cougar also and you can take it where guns are not allowed. When I go to BC I use bear bangers which launch from a pen launcher and make more noise than an m-80. you can only buy or order them from canada. i saw a study from u of mont which does a lot of bear research that showed that a string of black cats works better than a single blast from a gun or noise maker. the length of the noise pretty much forces a bear to flee whereas a single sound might startle it but not cause it to leave the area. Do a search for the bear fence which is proven to work for nightime. I knew of guys in alaska to use perimeter trip wires that set off flares or bangers. We all have different comfort levels that let us enjoy life. None of it is likely to ever be used. I may carry bear bangers but forget to lock my front door many nights. Some people carry guns but don't get a checkup from their doctor for years at a time or maybe they don't carry a weapon at all in the woods but run out every year for a full body MRI..........

13. koolminx

koolminx Member

Just don't get bear in heat piss.... LMAO! :D :D

P.S. a .22 cal is PLENTY to kill a big cat, a 9mm is more than sufficient!

14. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

This is a pretty funny post, so I'll add a true story.
    My son was a wrangler for a wilderness packing outfit when he was 12 years old until 17.
    It was his second season and in late August. Sleeping with his tent unzipped when a cougar entered his tent.
    Lets just say she was brown and he was pretty green.
    My son learned a lot that nite.

15. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    :rofl: you dirty dog you :rofl:

16. Zack Dudley

Zack Dudley Take em'

just stay away from cat nip hahaha

17. cutthroatking

cutthroatking screw work lets fish

I'm sorry I was confused on which cougers we were talking about.I think I'll stick with my repellant.Seems to work for the boy.

18. rooinater

rooinater aka "JAWS"

Home Page:
    Cougars?

Where are you going that you expect a problem? If you are lucky enough to see one, you should consider yourself one of the lucky few. I sleep in a tarp and bivy in cougar and bear country, the likely hood of something happening is fairly nil. Store your food properly by hanging it correctly, using a ursack with an OP sack, or use a bear canister. Cook away from camp and sleep the night away. In the unlikely event that you truly come across a cougar that is vicious there is nothing you can do except to fight for your life. Those types of encounters are highly unlikely, and the more time you spend in the wilderness the more you'll realize that. I was nervous about the hype around the bears and cougars when I started backpacking, than I realized if you pay attention, store food properly, and cook stuff away from camp it's highly unlikely you'll have an encounter let alone a dangerous encounter. Cats and bears are curious, and if they aren't hunting you they'll scare away easily.

19. Shapp

Shapp Active Member

I worked in the woods for many years in the most remote areas of Oregon and only have seen 2 cougars, although the hair on the back of my neck indicated many more went unseen. Not that I am opposed to hunting or carrying a gun, but if you are doing so for the sole protection for cougars you are crazy. You actually have a much better chance of being shot by a hunter or shooting your self accidently with your own side arm! There is only one verified human killed by a couger in Washington which was back in 1924 I believe.

20. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

If you're really scared of Cougars (4 legged variety), I suggest staying home till your balls develop a bit.

Unless it's been a REALLY bad year for deer, Cougars are way down the list of bad things you might encounter in the woods (behind public land pot farmers, backwoods inbreds, poachers, etc etc etc).

If you're more afraid of the two-legged variety, I suggest falsies and a wig. ;)

"Don't Worry, Be Happy" that there are still woods and wild things in them and that we can go there and spend time.

Just my .02,

Brian