mountain lions: any repellents?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by speyday, Sep 17, 2009.

1. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

being a gun nut i find it funny i'm gonna say the following, but if ya gotta ask, your not prepared, no need to carry a gun. this is an alpha ambush predator, odds are if your the one in a million to get the jackpot, ya won't know it 'till your knocked down can't breath and are fighting for your life thru the shock of it all. these guys are incredibly strong. your only chance is to protect your neck, feed him your weak arm/hand and stick him with a knife. many attacks have been fended of just this way.

2. seanengman

seanengman Trout have no politics

Slow relatives

3. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

Speydey,

You have a better chance of being struck by lightning, hit by a falling tree, getting in a car wreck and probably all on the same trip, than you do of a cougar encounter. Come on out. I solo hike and camp a lot in Montana and have never had a problem with them or bears. And I, contrary to all conventional wisdom, move quietly (unless entering the thick stuff); it is hard to take pictures of wildlife if you have announced your presence.

There is no reliable evidence bear spray works on a cougar (I do have a couple of friends from there I will try it out on, purely in the interest of science). The best advice is the same as for bears, keep a very clean camp, hang your food and dishes away from camp and for good measure, sleep in different clothes thatn the ones you cook or fish in, and hang them too. If you are really worried, the best piece of mind would probably come from the grizzly fence mentioned above. In tests, the little circle of wire repelled grizzlies. and, make noise while hiking.

If you are attacked by a cat (I know of no instances of them dragging someone from a tent), fight back hard. He means to eat you. Use rocks, clubs, fists and a good knife if you have one. Try to keep your neck, head and gut covered. BUT FIGHT!

A few years ago, my daughter in law worked for Napa County as a planner and had to make site visits at wineries. While walking down a small dirt road between fields with another girl, a cougar crossed the road not too far in front of them. Her reaction? "Damn, I can't believe I didn't have my camera."

Enjoy your trip. In lion country, if you have kids with you, keep them with you, and you should be fine.

4. D-squared

D-squared New Member

A pistol is not going to save your bacon if you are jumped - a knife will. That being said, if your fishing buddy gets jumped and you are armed, then you might be able to intervene on his behalf.

My 40+ yrs of hunting experience has shown that a pistol and a backpack is very uncomfortable, no matter if you are carrying in a hip holster or a shoulder rig. The backpack's waist band and shoulder straps interfere and create safety issue's. A long arm is much more comfortable to carry with a backpack. However I have not tried a tactical pistol holster in which the pistol would ride on one's thigh.

Given the nature of the original party's question, it sounds like a firearm is not "his thing". Bear Repellent spray would work, however how to carry it (read a holster) is a question that he will have to work out.

In my book a Ruger 5 shot revolver in 357 would be a good choice, so would a 40 Cal semi-auto pistol. If any of you decide to employ a pistol or revolver for self defense from 2 or 4 legged critters, do as I do and shoot a IPSC match on a quarterly basis. The importance of stress fire training cannot be over emphasized.

5. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

i do not fear cougars really. im much more worried about people. i have dreadlocks and get scary stares from people in remote parts of north idaho :(