Mouse pattern--dry fly or not?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by flyfishnm, Mar 10, 2003.

1. flyfishnm

flyfishnm Member

Media:
    I was just wondering if yous guys considered a mouse pattern a "dry" fly or not. Hopefully so, because every time I bring out the mouser pattern, my buddies rag on me saying stuff like, "Shoot if I would of know you were bringing bait...". It would be awesome to whip out the mouse, and be like,"Well fellas, I'm fishing a dry today"

:7 :7 :7 Ryan

2. steve

steve New Member

Technically I think it's considered a bass pattern, but it has been around a long time and both big rainbows and browns will take a mouse pattern especially at night. I don't know if it's a dry fly, but it is certainly not bait.

3. fly15

fly15 New Member

If it floats and is made out of some form of hair, feather or synthetic material that would normally be used in a fly like deer hair than it's a dry fly. As long as it's not all plastic or have spinners hanging off of it. :rofl

fly15

4. flyfishnm

flyfishnm Member

Media:
    This post was supposed to be somewhat comedic, sorry if you didn't get it...
    Even the thousandsth trip to the same old familiar fished-out stream begins with renewed hope, with unfailing faith--Zane Grey:7 :thumb

5. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hey smartypants! It's considered a rodent!

6. scottr

scottr Active Member

Media:
    I am curious if you are using a mouse pattern in Washington and if so for what species?

I always carry a couple Whitlock Mouserats in my terestrial box and dream of catching big browns or rainbows on it. I have tried it on occasion in Montana and once in Michigan with no luck.

I would guess in WA, bass are the fish that would take this fly (and yes I'd say it's a dry fly since it is fished on the surface).

7. speyneznbhm

speyneznbhm New Member

maybe you would consider a dry mouse since its not a bug but does that maen a clauser is not a wet fly? or a spey is not a wet fly. the coolest takes in ak I saw were mouse takes in the spring. hungry rainbows will take mice close to the bank mostly from my experience this is were I have had success. plus they're really cool to tie

john

8. Katchalot

Katchalot New Member

Media:
    I'm particularly fond of fishing with a mouse... and look for opportunities to use them.... and i've had considerable success with them, including a 28" brown... they are are big fish dry!!! I've used them on the Kettle river and there is nothing more exciting than having a big brown move on your mouse.... heart stopping!!! Don't be shy about using a mouse when you know big fish are in the water your fishing... and don't let your friends shame you in taking it off... a fish taken on a mouse is worth any amount of ridicule, plus if you catch a fish on a mouse... chances are it will be big enough to shut'em up for quite sometime.
    enjoy..

9. Piscator

Piscator New Member

I've always considered the double hackle parachute compara-mouse a dry, but anything else would be an emerger.

Fish (rat) on!
    Piscator

10. Cam09

Cam09 Member

Home Page:
    Hey I was wonder what some good mouse patterns are, how to tie them, and a pic would come in handy.

Thanks Cameron

"I have not failed. I've just found ten thousand ways that do not work."
    -Thomas Edison

11. speyneznbhm

speyneznbhm New Member

tie in a tail then spin in lots of deer hair and pack it really really tight all the way to the eye sculpt awy with your scissors make sure you bevel the bottom so it will swim and not roll on you like a boat kinda ears and eyes are for fisherman not fish use a liight wire wide gap bass hook have fun

12. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

When tying your mouse be sure to pack the hair really tight. At about the half way point of the body carve out a small cavity close to the hook shank. This can be used to house a tiny motor connected to the tail to give it that lifelike wiggle action that fish can't resist, as well as adding propulsion. This is connected to solar cells mounted on the ears. For low light conditions a small hearing aid battery can be used.
    As all truly huge trout are most active at night, the addition of flashing red LED eyes have proven effective to help track your mouse.

13. lightsailer

lightsailer New Member

I'm not sure what you want to call it; but there are definately people that fish the mouse 'hatch.' for example, a couple years ago was bumper year for grasses and seeds on the south island of new zealand (lots of rain during the winter). the mice populations boomed and the average size of the already monstrous brown trout down was well above normal the following year.

my vote would be to call it, 'a terrestrial.'

tight lines!

john