Mouse Patterns

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Rob Zelk, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Rob Zelk

Rob Zelk I swing, therefore i am.

Media:
    I'm wanting to try fishing mouse patterns for some meat eating trout. Does anyone have advice on a good durable pattern that floats well, and also advice on tactics that have worked when fishing the fly and leader information. I'm assuming late summer-early fall is the best time since thats when i see the most mice running around, but has anyone tried fishing them out of peak season? Oh yeah, one more thing, i've read a few articles about the life cycle of mice and they all have said something about a peak in mice population happening every seven years, does this apply to pacific northwest mice? Thanks a bunch. Oh yeah this is off the main subject but has anyone caught dolly/bulltrout on surface patterns before?

Rob Zelk
    (Dreamchaser)

2. Miller

Miller Member

Media:
    Dollies on dries, yes... Big and bushy. This last summer the mouse (AKA:mingus) was one of my "go to" patterns, the smaller trout would come completely out of the water trying to attack it, while the big dogs would slurp it subtley, if visibly at all. Most of the time the fly would just dissapear, and I would maybe see a red streak. My pattern was a strip of bunny hyde
    (for cut down)for a tail and spun deer or elk for the body. Trim the bottom flat and shape the top however you like. From what I noticed it is fished best just before and right at dusk. Try it, you will find some exciting fishing!
    :beer2

3. Andy

Andy Workin in a sweet mullet

Media:
    Yo RZ
    I saw on DD's website that he has some kind of surface technique for char. He didnt go into it, just hinted at it.

4. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    I've been working on a new mouse pattern that swims and acts more like a real mouse than the deer hair mice that dominate this style of fly. It's still in the experimental stages, but I'm looking forward to getting some serious time on the water with it this coming season. Once I have it tweaked to my liking, I'll share it with the world.

5. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    Local char will come to the dry, but its all about timing, timing, timing. :)

You will catch more char lower in the water column.

6. sashjo

sashjo Member

Check out Gary LaFontaine's Creature. I believe it was a FOTW on flyanglersonline.com.

7. wrench

wrench Member

Over here (Libby) I get bulls on big surface stuff, make a foam minnow and a tube fly with some foam, is not as effective in shear numbers as going deep, but boy is it fun!!

8. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Actually, I use a mixture of deer and/or moose. Depending on color I want. I use rabbit strip in natural for the tail. And maybe a bit of rubber bands for front/rear legs. But what I do is stack the hair (not spin) like waller wakers are supposed to be tied. I don't go fancy on top (since the fish won't be seeing the top). I've actually had steelhead rise to a mouse pattern teased on the surface (have caught summerruns this way quite a few times). But after I stack the fur on, I do a very lax job trimming hair. I don't go to exact. Just a rough outline.

Now, onto fishing. I try to use a snagless hook (use a piece of mono to make a hook guard like bass guys use). This will help in my technique. I like to bounce the mouse so it just lands on the opposing bank (where I think the steelhead will be holding). Then pop the fly back onto the water, as if it had fallen in. Then, I strip the fly so it looks like it's trying to flee the water. Strip and pause. Will provoke strikes in some fish.

9. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Steelheader69
    What do you mean by "stack the hair (not spin)?
    Please explain.

Thanks
    TC

10. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    Check out www.akflyfishers.com

Under "Fly of the month" click on the April 2002 Fly called "River Rat"

This is a pretty good verson.

LB

11. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    It's a technique where you only flair the hair on one half of the hook. When you spin, you get a 360 degree flair of the hair. With stacking, you flair only on the top/bottom/side (depends where you want the hair to lie). With this technique, you don't have to do any trimming under the hook, since no hair sits down that low. You only have to trim the shape on top of the hook. If you can find any of Lani Waller's articles, I do believe he explains how he does it. When I first started tying his wakers, I found out exactly how he made them. He uses this technique. I started using this on patterns I only wanted the hair on top of the hook. Plus, with this technique you can make multicolored frogs, etc.
    Here's an example. A waller waker stacked on hook.
    [​IMG]
    Here's what the underside looks like before I trim the body. Notice that you see no hairs below the hook. All the hair is stacked on top of the body.
    [​IMG]
    Hope that explains it. I've always been told that's stacking the hair (not spinning).

12. Rob Zelk

Rob Zelk I swing, therefore i am.

Media:
    Thanks 4 the advice guys. Much appreciated.

Rob Z(dreamchaser)

13. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Thanks for the explanation and photos regarding stacking not spinning.

TC:)