MOW Tips question

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Rick LaRiviere, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Rick LaRiviere Active Member

Ratings: +47 / 0
    Hey all,

I recently picked up a Beulah Platinum 8138-4 spey rod, and running a 575 gr. Beulah Tonic head. Want to get set up with a floating tip for it, and looked at the Rio MOW tips, but I see that they come in light, medium, heavy and extra heavy. Having no prior experience with these, I'm wondering which would work best with my rig.? I'm guessing that the size categories probably coincide with line sizes (light = 5/6 weight, medium 7/8 weight, heavy 9/10 weight, and extra heavy 11/12 weight...?) Am I right in that? I was thinking that I would probably be okay with a medium.? I'd appreciate a little illumination here... Thanks,

Rick
  2. speyfisher Active Member

State of Jefferson U.S.A.
    Ratings: +136 / 3
    You're in the right ball park. If you can accurately measure the tip Ø just behind the loop, you can get a better match on the densities of the tips. .060Ø = T8 (MOW-L) .070Ø = T10/11 (MOW-M) .080Ø = T14 MOW-H) .090Ø = T17 (MOW-XH) Keep in mind, the goal is to match density, not diameter.
  3. stratocaster Member

Marysville, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Lights are made using t-8 and used for lines 475 gr and under.
    Mediums are made using t-11, for 475 to 575 gr lines.
    Heavy's use t-14, for lines over 575 gr.
  4. speyfisher Active Member

State of Jefferson U.S.A.
    Ratings: +136 / 3
    This is true, on a general basis. However, it it not total grain weight that counts. Only that at the tip. The weakest link in the chain, so to speak. Were you to connect a 3/4 Ø hose to a 5/8 Ø hose to a 1/2 Ø hose, turn the water on full blast and measure the velocity, you would find it to be much higher (faster) than if you were to add to that 1/2 Ø, another section of 3/4 Ø hose. Sure the volume coming out the end would be the same. But the velocity, the speed at exit, would be much slower. Velocity, line speed, is what turns over fly lines. You may be able to get by with brute force,,,,,until you start pushing the limits. At which time, there will be no getting around the laws of physics.