Mr Mom needs camping/hiking destination advice.

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by bugbitten, Jul 12, 2002.

1. bugbitten

bugbitten New Member

Early August will be taking my 3 kids (6,8,9 years old) for a camping/hiking adventure and would appreciate any recommendations of where to go that might allow me to include some flyfishing time for dad. The kids enjoy fishing but have only used bait or lures for trout and salmon. Would be a bonus if we found a spot that would allow them to cast while dad tossed a fly in the water. Fishing would be secondary to a camping destination that had some easy hiking and a water hole for a swim. Live on the westside but will be taking off for our adventure from Snoqualmie Pass so can go in many directions. 2 or 3 nights of camping should do it. Any thoughts out there? :COOK

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Myself, I'd go hit the Hoh. You can camp in one of the many campgrounds on the North Hoh Road and then take drive up to the National Park and hit the Hoh River Trail. Good hiking trail with cutouts to some nice fly water.

Just an idea. Can't help it, I just LOVE the Hoh. :)

Steelheader69
    "You haven't lived until you've run a cataraft. Friends don't let friends run Outcasts."

3. FLYFYSY

FLYFYSY New Member

Walupt Lake has a nice campground, hiking trails and is a selective fisheries lake. The lake contains wild cutthroat and crayfish for the kids. Crayfish try a little bacon on a sting in the out let stream.

Lake Merril has a nice campground, trail around the lake and outstanding fishing for browns (do a little research on hexagenta if you go).

Salmon La Sac is a great base for hiking and fishing. Fishing lakes include Cooper and Fish (Tucquala). A great day hike fishing combo would be Hyas Lake. It's about a 2 mile walk a long the Cle Elum River. Fish the river on the way in and the lake once you arrive.

Hope you have a great trip.

Ken Shdo

4. bugbitten

bugbitten New Member

thanks for the info....I'll start my research here...what is hexagenta?

5. FLYFYSY

FLYFYSY New Member

A 3-4 inch Mayfly.

Ken

6. Dan Reynolds

Dan Reynolds Member

Media:
    You mean 3/4"...LOL

A 3-4 " mayfly would be a mouthful for any trout! Imagine casting that on a 5 wt???

7. chief

chief Active Member

I don't have a specific spot to recommend, but when my kids were that age I found it less stressful to take them to lakes or small streams rather than full on rivers. It's tough enough to keep an eye on three young kids, rushing water adds an element of danger that I preferred to avoid.

8. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    My suggestion would be the Elwah River, Olympic Natl. Park. Stay up at Altair Campground, which is clean and has a good facility, water and toilets, and good car parking at the sites. And close walk to the river access. You will have your hands full safety wise anywhere you go with kids that age. So be careful first, and fish second.Maybe a babysitter would be helpful too.Call the Park Office in Port Angeles for better info.That's a nice spot and the fishing should be very approachable that time.