Mt Rainier Tragedy Opens Nonsense Debate

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Desolate, Jan 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gldntrt40 Member

UFO over the city
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I don't have a gun but if I did MIGHT feel safer AND WOULD definitely make my small penis feel a centimeter longer..and, hey, that would be a
    noticeable improvement for the little lady..and my sorely lacking manly psyche..after I get up enough guts to be a real man and battle the world with civility and intelligence instead of brute force like cave men did with clubs before we went all gunpowder tough and such....
  2. Klickrolf Active Member

Klickitat, Washington
    Ratings: +166 / 0
    Trouble is violent criminals don't care much about civility or intelligence, they just take what they want...and innocent dead bodies are "way too often" the result. If you aren't able to protect your family...well, that would be your problem.
  3. gldntrt40 Member

UFO over the city
    Hope I have a close call before I need to go get a gun and pack around that heavy metal burden.
    I'd die from paranoia before I'd get shot I bet : )
  4. gldntrt40 Member

UFO over the city
    Not trying to say anything negative as I agree with your words if the risk day to day are there, but obesity and good mental health and happiness are things, if taken away, kill a huge swath of everyone so if we concentrated on getting our kids out walking and eating better and having fun then we'd save a huge % of folks. If we really want to be safe we'd get better jobs live in gated communities and not eat at McDonald's ever.

My point is if we want to preach saving our families-making them safe for long happy lives, 99% of us would actually do better by getting off our butts and getting involved day to day with good healthy lifestyles than worrying about guns and ghosts.
  5. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    Got this from someone else... but it is pretty good..

Some words to the wise...

Shooting Advice from various Concealed Carry Instructors. If you own a gun, you will appreciate this. If not, you should get one and learn how to use it:

A. Guns have only two enemies rust and politicians.
    B. Its always better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
    C. Cops carry guns to protect themselves, not you.
    D. Never let someone or something that threatens you get ins...ide arms length.
    E. Never say "I've got a gun." If you need to use deadly force, the first sound they hear should be the safety clicking off.
    F. The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.
    G. The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win - cheat if necessary.
    H. Make your attacker advance through a wall of bullets . . . You may get killed with your own gun, but he'll have to beat you to death with it, cause it'll be empty.
    I. If you're in a gun fight: 1/ If you're not shooting, you should be loading. 2/ If you're not loading, you should be movin', 3/ If you're not movin', you're dead.
    J. In a life and death situation, do something . . . It may be wrong, but do something!
    K. If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you have a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?
    L. You can say 'stop' or 'halt' or any other word, but a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much a universal language.
    M. You cannot save the planet, but you may be able to save yourself and your family.
  6. gldntrt40 Member

UFO over the city

Fear breeds Fear

Here is one I have for folks to think about learning to control fear and not being able to pack. I worked with a rock band and traveled the US and many countries around the world as a roadie/grunt and there was no way to pack guns state to state or country to country and there were tons of hairy situations where trouble could arise from being robbed to drunk punks, drugged freaks..obsessive fans.
    Those folks in that industry either learn to live with it or retire.

Would John Lennon be alive today is he had a shootout with his killer (why didn't he use Yoko as a shield..?)

I understand that some folks feel better having guns in the house to protect and that is fine, no problem with that, but personally I will quit leaving the house the day I feel I can't go to a river or a national park without packing and sizing up everyone I see as a risk.

Seriously, do most people feel paranoid that pack? I swear the second I think I'd have a gun I would shoot an innocent by accident or shoot the right -but wrong (a guilty judge's kid maybe).. and all I see is life behind bars and that scene from Pulp Fiction..the basement scene w/ Zed and that doesn't sit very well with me... if you get my drift : O
  7. gearhead Active Member

Renton, wa
    imagine a world without guns... just clubs knifes hatchets and swords. a world where only the strong and violent rule, forced to go along to get along.
    A world with guns means, a little old lady is as mighty as a linebacker in his prime. i guess what i'm saying is, i support equality:) and a world where violent mean evil people are forced to live, knowing the consequenses of their actions and mutual assured destruction.
  8. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Do you buy home owners insurance? Out of Fear? What about auto or life insurance? Fear? Guns are for the Just in case moments..

The UK has very very tight gun control... basically no guns allowed. So this moron went on a killing spree, and no one could stop his ass because guns are outlawed.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1993727,00.html

A good read.
  9. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +774 / 2
    It says the UK had 39 gun deaths in 2009. What is the US figure?

Whatever the comparable number, it's a moot point. That genie is out of the bottle, and there are so many guns in the US now that outlawing them or even restricting them in a significant way would indeed ensure that more bad guys than good guys have guns. No one wants that.
  10. gldntrt40 Member

UFO over the city
    It sort of scales up big time when we are talking nuke weapons and pissy little countries trying to swagger around
    and counter us with fear when we could roll them in every other way....

Agree with Lugan, lost cause once it happens.

Prevention is the key to all this stuff.

When I was working with a band and we did a show in Israel I talked to alot of kids and such and if you want to see what stress from suicide bombers and all can do-MAN! I asked them why the bombings had stopped and they said the kids finally said "screw it, we are not going to live in fear" and they came back to the clubs in droves and the bombings stopped. It became ineffective in creating fear.
  11. gldntrt40 Member

UFO over the city
    I think MOST people who kill are mentally ill and many get off in fairly comfy ways and most don't think they'll get caught.. but I am all for the results when a guy gets nailed with instant lead poisoning when he bears his gun for no good.
  12. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    Ratings: +302 / 0
    This topic has more than run it's course and is slid off the specific topic. Locking it up.

Chris
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.