Mt. St. Helens area?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by pd, Jul 29, 2001.

1. pd

pd New Member

Visiting Mt. St. Helens mid-August. Can someone give me advice on trout fishing in the area? Especially seek small - medium stillwater with quiet camping for a few days while touring monument -- have canoe with elec. motor, float tube, 4WD, and 3- wt thru 6-wt. equip. On a N. Cal board, a fellow recommended Merrill Lake with Hexagenia -- comments? Also interested in inexpensive cabins / fish-friendly motels; and refs to local fly shops. Thx -- tight lines -- PD, Mt.Shasta, CA

2. Jonduke

Jonduke New Member

The st. helens area has probably been one of the most talked about areas recently in this forum- just go through the old stuff on the forum for info on Coldwater and Castle lakes, the two premier Helens lakes (look under "Moving to WA- Where can I fish" and "castle Lake"). Also, try Merril Lake, as you have already been told.
    Jon

3. pd

pd New Member

Thanks Jonduke, I appreciate it. -- PD

4. Coho

Coho Member

Media:
    Try Gary Brault at the Toutle River Flyshop in Toutle. He has lived in area for years and is very knowledgeable on local fishing.

5. rich

rich Guest

We just returned from St. Helens and am going back this weekend. Taking a tube to Coldwater Lake, black wooley buggers/leeches. Stayed at Eco Park. Extremely reasonable and quiet. Check it out.

6. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Coldwater can get windy, and it's a long way across. I had the best luck from the launch to the island, and up the left side of the island. I stayed at Eco Park. They were full but found me a small spot to throw a bag on the ground. It is a nice spot. Good luck.

7. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    I fished the Hellens area late July of this year I started by fishing Cold Water with a full sinking line and a black wolly bugger and caught a nice 15-16 inch trout fatter then any I ever seen after just 5 minutes on the lake. The wind came up soon after driving me off of the lake. Next time I will bring an anchor for my little kayak so I can fish istead of row. I met up with a guy named Lee back by the boat ramp and he told me about Merrill and the Hexagenia hatch going on there. I followed him down and there were 40 or more fellow fly fishers waiting around for the evening hatch. I did not have and heagania patters but saw a caddis hatch going as well. I caught 2 nice 10-12 inch troot but none of the browns on the lake. The wind on this lake was also hard to fight and all who were fishing from tubes seemed to have sore legs at the end of the evening. Me myself I had tired arms but I had lots of fun and met many nice people while there. All were willing to give me advise and I thank them all. If Lee happens to read this I want to thank you for showing me Merrill lake I hope to meet up with you again.