"Muddy" Tasting Trout - Why?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Gregg Lundgren, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Media:
    Check out the last three paragraphs of this article http://www.gofishbc.com/tips_articles/stillwater.htm

Chef's advice in a recent post about buttermilk seems to hold some merit based on some related articles I found. Commercial fish farms transfer the fish from rearing ponds to clear moving water for a few days before slaughter. If this is not practical, there are suggestions to soak the fish in milk/buttermilk in the fridge for a few hours. Apparently, this draws the taste from the skin and the underlying fatty layer of the fish were the taste is contained. The milk should not be retained for cooking.

2. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Good info from a good source! Thanks for the link.
    Not all of our lakes host an algae bloom in the summer. I've not run into this problem of muddy tasting fish much but I'm not taking/eating fish from algae infested water either. I've always enjoyed a few trout on my plate and the best tasting fish for me have been harvested while using a pair of hiking boots to get where the fish live! I understand not everyone is capable of that but we do have deeper lowland lakes with colder water to accomodate those that can't hike.

3. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Somebody told me to soak duck breasts in butter milk before frying, gag.

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Scott, mind sharing some tips on how you are catching those finer tasting trout by using a pair of hiking boots? I've got an older set of hiking boots I can probably modify up for that purpose if you'll share your technique.

5. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

Mumbles, first while I dont doubt that you can hike, you have to be able to catch a trout .

6. Chef

Chef New Member

Soaking in Milk, Buttermilk, acidic water, etc has been done for a long time for everything. Liver, sweetbreads, etc. Duck.... no. Marinated or brining duck... yes.

7. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

As for this guy, if I gots to put the fish in buttermilk to eat, I ain't keeping it. There is enough great tasting fish out there, no reason to go to extremes just to make bad fish edible.

Mumbles, hiking boot size is very important to the success of this technique.

MB

8. Chef

Chef New Member

scott: so no liver? no sweet breads? All the milk does is draw out impurities and blood from the protein.

9. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

I soak all my fish for approx. 30 min. in a "wash" made from one cup of milk and a tablespoon of mayonaise (salad dressing) whipped together. Sometimes I'll add a drop of soy sauce and a dash of dill/taragon.
    Learned this when I lived in the "islands".
    Works well for fowl as well. It will help seal the flesh and keep the natural juices/flavors in.:thumb:

10. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Media:
    Well Scott, instead of making "bad" fish edible, you could make "well behaved" Basin fish taste better beyond the spring opener.:)

But really my point was to let folks know this taste has little to due with muddy lake bottoms.:ray1:

11. Lex Story

Lex Story Angler, Gastronomist, Artist, Jarhead, Geek

leaving your catch on a stringer in the lake water also contributes to this bad taste. After necrosis the flesh of the fish begins to drawn in the lake water through osmosis.
    I bring a couple of 2 gallon zip lock bags and drop my catch in the bag with some bottled water. When the fish dies it soaks up fresh water. On a side note duck is one of the most misunderstood proteins by westerners. Read James Petersons "The Duck Cookbook" or go to culinary school... or hang out with foodies and chefs.

12. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Hatchery trout??? Pellets with fins!! MMMMM medium rare steak...

13. TD

TD Active Member

I prefer the hiking boot method. Bring along a little olive oil or butter, some green onions, garlic glove, and lemon slice. Toss some cubed baby reds in the skillet too. Finish with berry cobbler topped with the freshly picked hucklberries that you gathered on the trail on your way in.

Oh, can't forget the nalgene bottle with Chardonay cooled in the outfeed stream.

Not something I enjoy on extended hikes but is a real treat on one or two day outings.

14. scottflycst

Ed,
    Very important, no boot mod needed. Here's the recipe, old world, backwoods, and garanteed to please your palate.
    Take 4 foot long trout, remove heads and entrails. Wrap fish individually in cheesecloth then stuff 2 fish each in each boot. Set in refer ( we learned the hard way to use the refer, use to set boots on the back porch as is our habit but the coons would run off with them, darn theives) over night. Next day remove cheesecloth and cook, bake, or fry the fish according to your favorite method. We never had anyone complain 'bout muddy tasting fish even if your boots were a bit muddy. Chefs of old have known of the wonderful qualities that salt and seasoned leather possess in food preservation. The neat thing is both are found in your boots so it makes a convenient point. Plus the next day when you put your boots on to go to work you're pleasantly reminded of the tasty dinner you had the night before. Also when you get to work your buddies will know you've been fishing again and they'll be jealous. Nothing but upside I'd say!
    So there ya' have it. Oh, I almost for got, there is a certain fly I use in the summer to kick off this family recipe. I'll see if I can round one up for you.

15. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Scott, thanks for the procedure, but I'm already sunk. I see your system starts with 4 foot long trout. That flat rules me out. Thanks for sharing.

16. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Scott's recipe omitted the importance of using of old boots. If you use new boots (less than 5 years) the fish will take on a strong leather taste. Older boots, preferably 10+ years and resoled twice, will impart a more delicate aroma that many believe is reminiscent of a fine French wine after it has been used to embalm large rodents. Newer boots (3 to 5 years) can be used if soaked in buttermilk for two weeks.

17. Chef

Chef New Member

duck.... I love duck. We just did duck two days ago. Yesterday we did sweetbreads (thymus gland) and rabbit.

18. scottflycst

I love hausenpheffer too! It's been a spell though. Need to go over the hump and bring a few home.
    What's you fav method of cooking them?

19. Lex Story

Lex Story Angler, Gastronomist, Artist, Jarhead, Geek

I learned a way of taking the rabbit saddles and rolling up the chopped kidneys of the rabbit in that and then wrapping the entire roll of that in my home made pancetta. Wrapping all of that in caul fat and pan searing in a cast iron skillet with a little duck fat and finishing in the oven, being careful not to overshoot and overcook (around 10 minutes) let rest; and serve this roulade sliced on mixed greens wetted with a vibrant vinaigrette.

20. Chef

Chef New Member

not too bad lex. Sounds good. I took the skin of the rabbit off the saddle, pounded it out and then took the tenderloin meat and the rest of the saddle meat, ground it up and made a ballontine with it. Rolled it, tied it, seared, finished in the oven and made a simple beurre noir with sage, thyme and a little jalapeno.Yummmmmm.....

To be honest, the skin, compated to chicken, is pretty damn tough.