Mule Deer hunt

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by chadk, Oct 23, 2013.

1. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    Took my 10 yr old hunting with me for my first WA deer hunting trip. We headed east of the mountains Thursday before the opener on Saturday. Headed cross country and made our own little basecamp. Scouted hard for a few days. The evening of the opener I finally found my target....

Our base camp deep in the woods well off any known trail:
    [IMG]

Here's your sign...
    [IMG]
    Just before the kill:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Very thick bodied brute. 300lb range. Much heavier than my Idaho mule deer from last year. Took my a week to finally finish processing all the meat. Lots of good venison steak and ground up a ton of burger (grind with bacon = amazing venison burgers!),
  2. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +770 / 1
    Nice hunt, great that you brought your son along...what did he think of all of that?
    chadk likes this.
  3. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +167 / 1
    Way to show a youngster the beauty of the outdoors! Those are things they will remember.
    chadk likes this.
  4. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +879 / 0
    good on ya! All I got were dusty boots!
    chadk likes this.
  5. ribka Active Member

E WA
    Ratings: +164 / 0
    Nice buck! Congrats
    chadk likes this.
  6. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    Thanks Roper, and others...

He had a great time. With 8 kids in the family, it is great to get some focused 1 on 1 time with each of them. So far, this guy seems to be my biggest hunting and fishing buddy.

All the kids enjoyed seeing the deer and most helped in one way or another in the butchering, grinding, and eating :)

Already planning next year and getting hunter ed lined up for a few of them.
  7. orangeradish Bobo approved

Capital City
    Ratings: +484 / 0
    Well done, man. Nice buck. I agree with the bacon trick.
    chadk likes this.
  8. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
  9. WonkyWapiti Member

Maple Valley, WA
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    Very nice. I love mule deer hunting. Nothing better than hunting with your kids. I took my daughter out during modern to try and get her first deer. No luck but she had a good time and I ended up with some priceless memories.