Multi-Day Bushwhack Down River in Gifford Pinchot

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Fairways_and_Greens, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Fairways_and_Greens Member

Ratings: +9 / 0
    Hello all. I'm just getting into the sport (I'm 32). My dad (in his 60's) has always wanted to be dropped off in a stream in the Gifford Pinchot and walk it until it connected back up with the Cowlitz. I'd imagine this will take 3 to 4 days... We want do it next summer. I'd like to do everything I can to be ready by then to make it a memorable trip.

If there are any resources out there or if any of you guys would consider sharing your experience doing something like this, I would be grateful.

Things on my mind:

• What's a good rod for something like this?
    • What kind of pack weight am I looking at? Is there any possible way to keep it under 20?
    • I was thinking hiking hammocks would be superior to tents
    • Is a waterproof bag recommended?
    • What about putting your gear in an inflatable raft?
    • If you've done anything like this, what did you wish you left home and what did you wish you brought with you?
    Thanks guys!
  2. Joe Goodfellow Active Member

DES moines wa
    Ratings: +101 / 0
    Lots of bug spray and a waterproof bag for lighter. Always remember keep it simple
  3. Skyler Evans Active Member

Fort Lewis
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    I would take a 5wt with both intermideate and floating line, i would say your pack weight would be around 30-40lbs. That includes your water source, and food im gussing you would take somehting like an MRE. They have a water pump that filters water out of the river so that it is drinkable. I would reccomend you take one of those. A water proof bag is a pretty good thing to have, i would take a lighter and something as a backup for a fire starter such as a magneseum stick, or steel wool and a 9vt battery. I dont know about putting the gear in an inflatable raft. and i you can get a hammock that weighs less than 2 lbs that is very durable, i use one when i go across the pond. and i would take the thermocell instead of bug spray.
  4. Fairways_and_Greens Member

Great suggestions. Do you think a waterproof backpack like the Orvis Gale Force would be best or would a hiking pack with a waterproof stuff sack be better?

I was thinking of a hiking quilt instead of a sleeping bag to cut down on space/weight. How much colder does it get sleeping by the river at night?
  5. bhudda heffe'

basement
    Ratings: +109 / 0
    Cispus river will keep ya busy,
    BASS_TURDS likes this.
  6. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +387 / 0
    I would take a shorter rod, 7-8 feet and go for a 3 or 4 weight. I think a 7' or 7'6" 4 weight fiberglass rod would be ideal for that type of water. Soft enough to throw dries and be fun with small fish, enough butt power to fight bigger fish and it will roll cast great. The new eagle claws are great, especially for the price. Forget the intermediate line, just bring a sinking polyleader if you want to fish streamers deep.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G
  7. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +956 / 1
    If it was me I'd car camp in a general area or have two areas picked out and day hike for nearby fishing.
  8. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,566 / 0
    You ask some good questions.

• What's a good rod for something like this? A fiberglass rod might be preferable because it is less prone to breaking, and your adventure has broken rod written all over it. A 7 or 7 1/2' in a 4 or 5 wt should be good.
    • What kind of pack weight am I looking at? Is there any possible way to keep it under 20? Under 20 is possible, if you don't count your waders and fishing gear and use weight weenie ultra-light backpacking gear. Beer can alcohol stove (look it up on the web.), and super-small titanium pot for heating water, freeze-dried dinners, instant oatmeal/coffee breakfasts, salami/cheese/pita bread/nuts/candy for lunch. Forget MREs; they weigh pounds. Use a Steri-pen to purify water; at 5 oz. it's the lightest alternative.
    • I was thinking hiking hammocks would be superior to tents 1# super-light tarp, no tent.
    • Is a waterproof bag recommended? No waterproof pack is going to be comfortable for this hike. Get an ultra-light pack by Go-Lite or similar and put your stuff inside in waterproof bags.
    • What about putting your gear in an inflatable raft? Only if this stream is navigable for your inflatable. Unless you know in advance you're risking a lot with this assumption.
    • If you've done anything like this, what did you wish you left home and what did you wish you brought with you? Never done this.
    Sg
  9. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
    Is your pops in good enough physical shape to do a four day rock hopping trip down a river?
    Just another thing to consider......
  10. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +956 / 1
    I had a half week fishing trip using a tarp as a lean-to to hold down weight. If I ever did that trip again I'd use a tent and scrap any idea of lean-to, bivy bag or anything that wasn't roomy or able to keep the bugs at bay.
  11. Fairways_and_Greens Member

The old man still hunts elk in some rugged country. It keeps him young.