Multi Day Trips in 'Toons

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by SpeyFitter, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Looking at a potential Trout/Char Trip next Summer. I'm wondering if you guys have done multi day drifting/camping/fishing trips out of your 'toons and what were the circumstances? It seems to me that based on some trips I've heard/seen guys doing like this that you almost need one of the guys in your group to have a bigger boat like a raft or drift boat to carry a lot of the gear to make this work, OR, perhaps A LOT of guys in 'toons to spread the stuff you need as a group to do a trip such as this. Can it be done, how frugal do you have to be,etc. ? There is a good Youtube video of some 6 guys who did the John Day over 4 days, but they had one drift boat in their group, but most of the guys were in 9'-ish foot 'toons it looked like.

2. Just pack like you are backpacking and you'll be fine without a support boat. If you pack light, you should even have room for a few extras like fresh food and some cold beverages.

dfl, constructeur and Ed Call like this.
  3. SpeyFitter,

I don't have a pontoon, but have done a couple 8-day trips with my Watermaster. No problem carrying about a 100 pound load. The main thing to be aware of is that a personal one-man watercraft is significantly less manueverable when loaded heavier than for day tripping. Just set up early and don't get careless in rapids.

The main thing I found is that I couldn't take a large ice chest like I would prefer to have on a week-long trip. But as Freestone said, think backpacking, only heavier. You have to make compromises, but it's quite workable. I took a 15 qt. cooler with frozen meals frozen in a block of ice for the first 4 days, and then lived on freeze dried the last 4 days.

Sg

4. I'm not sure of safety concerns with this but perhaps you could tow a small second inflatable that can carry gear.

5. Well now that I think of it not very wise on a river float, maybe larger lake or in the salt.

6. The more boats are on the trip, the less food and gear each individual boat has to carry. Salmo g is pretty hardcore for doing an 8-day trip with his watermaster, but I'd not hesitate do to such a trip with my 10-ft pontoon. Just pack beef jerky, peanut butter, and distilled spirits and you'll keep the weight to a minimum :D

7. ten80,

We mature gentlemen like/need to keep our digestive systems operating normally in order to fish comfortably and effectively. A week-long diet of jerky, peanut butter, and Scotch doesn't work. You can save 26 pounds by using all freeze dried meals and foregoing the small cooler and frozen food. I enjoy the trip more when I eat and drink well. The big sacrifice is not being able to accommodate the weight and bulk of beer for a week.

Sg

Jim Wallace likes this.
  8. I was being sarcastic, guess I used the wrong emoticon ;)

My raft trips involve steaks, grilled salmon, lasagna, king crab, dutch ovens, and whatever else we feel like eating. Like you said, these can be prepared beforehand and/or purchased freeze-dried. REI has a great selection. Of course, a water filter is necessary along with the dried food.

9. Looks like modern technology might be close to solving the "big sacrifice" problem.
    I think I'd let Mikey try it first though.
    http://whatdoino-steve.blogspot.com/2009/06/alaskan-made-dehydrated-beer.html

10. I did 5 days on the Deschutes in a my 8' Buck's Bronco.
    [​IMG]

I took one of these for the water situation:
    http://www.rei.com/product/737349/katadyn-base-camp-water-filter

Another handy item was one of these on a five gallon bucket:
    http://www.nitro-pak.com/products/f...containers-and-supplies/gamma-seal-lid-yellow
    The bucket held all the freeze dried food, coffee makings, stove, fuel. The dry bag held clothing, tent, and sleeping bag. A self-inflating mattress as you can see is tied on also. The on board storage bags of the boat held zip locks of trail mix, jerky, granola bars and dried fruit. The top of the white tape on the water bottle denotes exactly the amount of water needed for a freeze dried meal. :)

We planned for five days but I packed for seven just in case I got super hungry or spilled a dinner.

Our trip was on a desert river in August so not much in the way of clothing was needed. The waders came off at noonish and a daily swim helped combat the mid-day heat.

Your trip will be different I'm sure, and I would make allowances for hanging your food away from camp if you think there may be bears around.

11. Hey fellas - thanks for taking the time to contribute to this thread, I really appreciate the time you took to offer your advice & input!

WW - that's pretty cool out of an 8' Bronco! Looks like you had it down to a science! I'm sure the boat must have handled differently, but it may have even helped you crash through waves a bit more (more displacement of waves, less "planing").