Multi Species Lake Report - Fio Rito

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Patrick Gould, May 4, 2013.

1. I got up at the crack of dawn before the wind started and went out to Fio Rito Lake for a few hours. I took my Zodiac and a few different rod/line combos for both trout and bass. I ended up with 7 fish in all. Three 14" planter trout that fought very well. I guess they're acclimated after almost a month in the lake. Two little bass and Two bigger bass. Although I spent a ton of time casting with a large sparkle bugger for the bass, I ended up catching them on the same fly I was using for the Trout, a ruby eye mohair leech. I first got interested in this type of fly this past winter after reading a thread that Troupocket started. These basic leeches in several colors and slight variations are really working well for me.

[​IMG]

2. Patrick,

I can't seem to expand the picture any further; what is you use for the "eye" on that mohair? It almost looks like a translucent conehead.

Glad you had some good luck, too!

Cheers

3. This was a store bought fly and I pulled pic off the web. It think it's an Umpqua brand fly. It's a very small elongated brass conehead with a translucent bead behind it. The dubbing or mohair has some shimmer to it. To my eye it's the best looking simple leech. After I find the little cones and the bead I'll be making some for myself.

I was surprised that it didn't catch any Bluegills. They would swarm up to the fly, but then ignore it.

4. love that fly. i've been getting them from pacific fly fishers, not sure who ties it.

Patrick Gould likes this.
  5. If that link doesn't work, try this one

6. Thanks Gary, That's it.

The Umpqua version looks like it might just be dubbing with a copper rib, and not a dubbing brush, but it's hard to tell.

7. It is a really nice fly, I'll have to throw some in my lake box.