multi tip line IDEA

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Ringlee, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    So I had an idea. I am buying a 6/7 mid spey with tips and also a skagit 450 head. What would stop me from cutting the 450 grain head off the skagit running line and put a loop on it and make it a tip for my mid spey. If I took all the sections of the mid spey off and put the head on it. I know it wont work as a tip on the end of the other sections on the mid spey because, it would be too heavy.
    Im trying not to have to buy another spool.
    Anybody try this?

Chris

2. ssickle1

ssickle1 Slow and Low

Media:
    I don't mean to be stupid but why would you buy a skagit setup and a midspey with tips?

Seems like you would get the skagit set up for big tips on that little rod and the midspey for dry line and intermdediate.

I cast a 9/10/11 with the belly taken out and have all the tips. Got tired of all the stripping and just bought the 6/7/8 WC with floating and type 6. You don't have to get the whole package. I just called Kaufmanns and ordered what I wanted.

I don't know the casting charachteristics of your rod but I can absolutely cast any size fly and a type 8 on my 7136 with the 9/10/11 no belly set up. I can't do that with a type 6 on my WC 6/7/8.

Just some food for thought from a fellow light liner.

3. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I looked through the rio catalog and it dosen't look like it will work. I am buying a couple of lines and the 450 Skagit head will work on 2 of the rods I have. But I dont want to limit myself to the chuck and duck style with the skagit head. So I thought about the skagit head as a another "tip" to use for the rod. But it dosent look like it is going to work. So I will look around some more. One rod is a Loomis and the other is a 6126 Sage.
    Chris

4. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    God this spey stuff is hardcore. Im just getting into it, keep up the great conversation. Expiermentation is key.

Peace,
    Andy