Musky Rod Advice

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Muskypicker, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Muskypicker

Muskypicker Member

Looking for some advice on a single handed musky rod. Any price.

Thanks for any feedback you can offer! I've got a great two-handed Meiser rod, but am in need of a single handed rod for a few trips this summer.

Thanks again.
    Chris

2. nwtroutguy

nwtroutguy The Tug Is The Drug

I have fished for big Northerns to 43 inches. They are very similar to Muskies in size and strength and you do not want to be under gunned. Not to mention you will be throwing monster size flies.

I would recommend nothing shy of a 9 weight and I would probably use a 10 weight.

3. Muskypicker

Muskypicker Member

Thanks a lot for the tip. I should have specified...I'm looking for advice on any particular make/model of musky rod that people have thrown and liked. Most likely in the 9-11 weight range. Thanks again.

4. ribka

ribka Active Member

Any 8 to 10weight med fast to fast rod will work. Have caught over 100 pike and Muskie on a 20 year old Loomis IMX 8wt mega. I also fish a newer Loomis NRX 10 wt too. TFO, sage, Winston....

Any brand will work. To be honest I 'd spend more time and resources studying habitat, structure, forage, patterns over a rod. And a good depth finder for boat and a lake map. Learn to throw a shooting head. I think a good 50 to 70 lb fluoro leader works better than a wire bite tippet. I make my own.

As you know they call Muskie the " fish of a 1000 casts" with conventional gear. Now add fly gear and can see the challenge. It is addictive.

5. suckegg

suckegg Active Member

..in a 10 weight

Very reasonable price too!

6. suckegg

suckegg Active Member

Anyone cast the new Sage muskie rod?

7. Porter

Porter Active Member

Check a midwestern site...not sure Washington is the best place to get that type of info.

8. Muskypicker

Muskypicker Member

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I'll poke around for another midwestern site. I used to visit the upper midwestern flyfishing site, but it closed. Thanks again. I've been fishing these for 25 years in MN; will be switching over to 100% on the fly this year and am looking for a single-handed rod to compliment the Meiser.

Thanks again.
    Chris

9. suckegg

suckegg Active Member

While looking around for more info on that rod I saw on Muskie Inc the largest fly caught hybrid and muskie were caught in WA.