must fish; must fish...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Alex MacDonald, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    What's the upper Yak like now? How's the water: high still? Anybody interested in doing a float? I've never fished the upper, and don't know where the put in/take out would be. Isn't one somewhere around Easton?

2. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

One float on the upper section is Ensign Ranch to Bullfrog. I have done it a couple times in a pontoon, though not for a few years.

3. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    Alex -
    Here's the gauge for the river below Easton: http://www.usbr.gov/pn-bin/graphrt.pl?easw_q

The pattern of summer irrigation is one that uses the river above Lake Easton to funnel water from Lakes Kachess and Kacheelus into the big south side canal that begins at Lake Easton, and then to use the river lower down to funnel water from Lake Cle Elum to the lower valley. This leaves the flows in the river between Lake Easton and the confluence with the Cle Elum river at a modest level during the summer when the rest of the river is too high to wade.

So, you might find it worthwhile to spend a day exploring that stretch of the river to find access points (there are several) and do some wading. My best day of fishing that stretch came on a hot July day several years ago when I hit a great early evening caddis emergence. I parked under the I-90 bridge near the Golf Course exit west of Roslyn and fished upstream. I'm not giving away any secret spot here, since the parking spot is in sight of 1000 cars an hour!

Dick

4. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    I might be up for a float this Fri or Sat...won't know plans until tomorrow. Flows are on the high side, but according to the Evening Hatch, it's fishing good.

5. jwg

jwg Active Member

Not sure how up you mean by upper.

The upper canyon can be floated by putting in at the WDFW water access near the Teanaway River (downstream from Cle Elum) , and taking out at the Thorp bridge access site. There is also a put in downstream from the Teanaway river site, on private land, you leave $10 bucks or more in the post there, and be sure to close the gates. I wish I could tell you exactly where it is, but I've only been there once.

One piece of advice for the WDFW access near Teanaway river, which is out of site from the road, is to park your vehicle out on the main road after you unload, in a visible site where you are less likely to get broken into. This is what I've been told. I have no personal experience on the issue

Jay

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Alex, when specifically? Got a two seater that needs a shakedown float.

7. Alex MacDonald

Media:
    Thanks, Guys!

Dick, I've seen that exact stretch so many times driving by; seen at least one person flogging the water South of the bridge. It looks intriguing, so I'll give it a go: looks like nice water upstream, Thanks!

Jay, that's the "State" launch, and it's really secluded, so we always park out by the tracks and the road when we're floating from South Cle Elum to State. That's a nice float! The upper river for me is from the dams to Bullfrog, a stretch I've never seen except from the road.

For this month, I have to keep my schedule fluid since Her Ladyship changed her work schedule, and we're in the process of selling our VW Westfalia. That needs to go into the mechanic's bay and the body shop for some minor dents & paint. Anybody interested in an `88 Westfalia?

8. Eric Candelaria

Eric Candelaria Member

I had not floated the upper/upper sections prior to last month. Derek seems to know it the best on here. I know there is a put in at Ensign, Bull Frog, South Cel Elum (in the city on south side of highway), East Cel Elum (be careful of the back eddy! i think this is called the state park too? ), Bristol which is a farmers field with a couple of take outs fixed in it just leave $10 in the bird house or coffee can which ever he has out on the way out, Thorp bridge, and finally the last one before the diversion there are signs.
    I floated the S Cel Elum to Bristol a few weeks back in the rain and had a great day. With the flows this high you can get a pretty good strecth in a normal 6-8 hour float. Much faster than the lower sections.
    Take someone who knows it well or talk to someone. There are a couple of areas boats can get sucked in under log jams still and side channels are prefered in at least one spot.

9. Eric Candelaria

Eric Candelaria Member

anyone who needs a third Saturday i would be honored! or i do have a klack ready if i can get takers

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I used to fish behind the Easton Ponds. Easy wading when the rest of the river is high. The fishing was some what.

11. Alex MacDonald

Media:
    I've fished the South Cle Elum launch to the takeout at "State" a couple of times; and it's a nice float. That log cabled to a tree at the takeout has finally been "liberated" so it can't sink your boat. Derek would be the absolute "go to" guy for the upper river!

12. bigdood

bigdood fishing hack

Media:
    Home Page:
    PM'd you