Muzzle Loader Show and Tell

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Troutcreek, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Troutcreek

Troutcreek Active Member

I don’t know if anyone finds these old things interesting. I was cleaning rifles today and thought I’d share some photos (taken earlier).
    The percussion lock rifle is an original early American Kentucky style rifle that was given to mygrandmother in the 1940’s. The rifle was originally a flintlock which was converted to the percussion cap lock style in the 1870’s.
    The flintlock version was built by my father as a gift to my mother in the mid 1970’s. She shot the rifle a great deal and I continue to shoot the rifle today. The LOP is too short for me (although identical to the original) althought the recoil is light so the rifle is still comfortable to shoot. IMG_4169.JPG

IMG_4164.JPG IMG_4166.JPG

2. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Cool post and story to go a long with your rifles TC. I shot a muzzle loader with my pops at a few mountain man gatherings a few years back, good times for sure.

3. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Those are gorgeous rifles. Thanks for sharing the photos.

4. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Exquisite! Beautiful wood, superb inlay, and outstanding presentation! The flinter looks like a Siler lock. If one of us tried to buy one today, Track of the Wolf would be the place to go, but we'd find them to be very expensive-between 4 and 8 THOUSAND dollars today! I'm drooling!!!!!

5. Troutcreek

Troutcreek Active Member

Thanks for the compliments and interest. My father was a good rifle maker and as a young man we worked together on many enjoyable projects. I've got a few more of his rifles and a couple of my own that I'll share another time. It's likely a Siler lock as stated although there were a few others that he used regularly. He purchased Siler lock kits and I did the final machining and hardening as required. The wood came from his friend Freddie Harrison in Tennessee (as I recall). Freddie would set aside blocks of wood. Sometimes he'd mill the barrel and ramrod channel and sometimes he wouldn't but it pretty much came as flat billet of wood (in this case curly maple). The barrel is likely a Douglas xx which was his preference but occasionally he’d use others. The butt plate is most likely a sand casting but the other brass work is all one off custom made. We didn’t have a lot of machining equipment but we were able to do most tasks including reaming and rifling. Our rifling mandril was a fixed gain twist so there was only one option but it was pretty cool although a manual operation and a great deal of work.

ribka likes this.
  6. ribka

ribka Active Member

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like your father was a very skilled and talented man. The wood is gorgeous. Birdseye?

7. ribka

ribka Active Member

You need to take one out for WA ml deer this year. I can point you to a few areas if interested

Troutcreek likes this.
  8. Alex MacDonald

Terry, there's a rendezvous over in Burlington next month, and we're planning on going to it to see what they have. Maybe we can get together and convince Jason to bring the boys over for it too!

9. constructeur

Post or PM me the details, all I could find on the Wa muzzleloaders site was the 2013 rendezvous schedule.

10. Alex MacDonald

Her Ladyship's got it marked on the calendar, but doesn't mention who's putting it on. I'll have to ask her when she gets back from work this evening. I don't recall who it is!

constructeur likes this.
  11. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Alex, I'd be interested in that rendezvous as well. I might have to get back into smoking black powder.

12. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Me too, Alex. I would love to fondle some tiger stripe maple.

Great pictures and story, Troutcreek. Those are some beautiful rifles.

13. Alex MacDonald

OK, guys, here's the skinny: May 16-18, put on by Snohomish Valley Muzzleloaders, it's the 26th annual rendezvous. It's on the Skagit Muzzleloaders' site (says the flyer). It's North of Sedro-Wooley on F&S Grade Road, South of Prairie road and exit 236 on I-5. The weekend has rifle, pistol, hawk and archery competitions; looks like $15/adult, and junior is $5 (junior is up to 15). Opens at 8am. We expect to be at the KOA in Burlington. I probably won't dress in costume for the event, but will see what the rest of the crowd is dressed like. Should be fun, and I hope to see you there. Let me know who's planning and I'll post my cell # so we can get together.

14. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

I'll be having a chat with the Mrs when she wakes up (we was up til the wee hours). Sounds like fun and a chance for face to face.

constructeur likes this.
  15. Alex MacDonald

It would be! I'll keep the fingers crossed.

16. constructeur

Giving this a reminder bump and how's everyones schedule looking for this weekend?

17. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Beautiful works of are for sure. What caliber are they?

18. Alex MacDonald

We're good to go, leaving on Thursday about mid-day. Don't know which site we're in at the Burlington KOA, but we're dragging the A-frame trailer and the hounds. Ron: Terry? Y'all making the trip? I'm 509 393-8856. Thursday we're hitting the Rockfish in Anacortes (to avoid the band!), then Friday I expect to go to the Outback Steakhouse in Burlington. I'm bringing a bottle of cheap scotch for relaxing by the trailer:cool:

19. constructeur

I'll be up even if it's just for Saturday, not sure how work is looking for late week/ the weekend yet.

20. Troutcreek

Troutcreek Active Member

The remake is 45 cal. the original is somewhere in the 46 or 47 cal.range(at least at the muzzle). I suspect that the soft steel barrel on the original has worn at the muzzle from cleaning and loading.