My 7 year old is tying/selling his flies for his savings

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Jeff Hale, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Hale

Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

Media:
    My son Max just turned 7 in December, but he has been hovering over me since he was two, playing with my vise, stealing my hackles, gluing chenille and dumbell eyes to the base of my vise with Zap-a-gap, etc. if I didn't constantly watch him like a hawk.

I gave up the idea of ever trying to get a fly completed with him on my lap, so I got him his own vise and materials at age 4. He's been creating some pretty crazy stuff, and he refuses to listen to much I have to tell him because he's certain that his flies are "special" and that he doesn't want to tie established patterns, but "invent" his own. Okay, I can respect that. He's finally coming up with a few good ones.

Max has been asking me for about 2 weeks to post pictures of his latest creations for you all to see. He likes to check out the pictures on the gallery with me and gets excited to see his own stuff on the computer. Here are three of his flies he tied yesterday. Two of them have gold bead-chain eyes, because he insists that any fly with eyes is better than one without eyes (I can tell it's going to be tuff to convince him not to strap on a pair of 1/32 ounce dumbells onto his first Adams), and one has stick-on eyes. One of them he says is for steelhead, one for browns and sea-runs, and the other is his version of a Clouser. See if you can tell which ones.

Also, he wants me to let you guys know that he is willing to let you have them for $.75 each. He says he knows that it a lot of money, "but his flies are really, really good, dad". Quite the entrepreneur; he's always trying to squeeze me for a few bucks, especially in the fly shop. Okay, my fatherly duties are done for the night. Jeff

2. Jake Bannon

Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

Media:
    Flies from my 7 year old

Those are really good for a 7yr old, heck they probley even look better than a couple that Ive tied recently. I would have to say that the olive one is for browns, pink one for steelhead and the clouser for sea runs.

Jake

3. sheetfly

sheetfly Member

Flies from my 7 year old

Shadow box them for his room and cultivate the obvious talent.
    Well Done!!

(if he fishes them he could become a frightful fish addict)

4. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Flies from my 7 year old

Max
    These flies are outstanding. They show a fine sense of fly design. Shape, color, texture, movement, all show an advanced talent at 7 yrs old. Keep inventing special flies from your own imagination. As you know they are much more fun than regular flies.

Jeff
    A display of some sort is a great idea.

TC

5. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

Media:
    Flies from my 7 year old

Great work!! As nice as a display would be I would take him out and let him catch a fish on one of them, the ultimate reward for a fly tyer.

6. Jeff Hale

Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

Media:
    Flies from my 7 year old

Thanks for the replies, guys. I read out loud your responses to Max and he is walking around the house with his chest puffed up, and telling everyone that "Even those guys on the Internet think I am a good tyer!"

Jeff

7. Mike (Doc) LaCombe

Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

Flies from my 7 year old

Pretty cool Max. I am a new tier myself. The major difference is that where you are 7 years old I am 70 years old. Great sport Max, I wish I had found my way to the tying bench years ago.

Now get you dad to take you fishing.

Mike L

8. Sourdoughs

Sourdoughs -Marc Chapman, icthyoantagonist

Media:
    Flies from my 7 year old

:rofl: :thumb:

9. SteelieD

SteelieD Non Member

Media:
    Flies from my 7 year old

Max,

I'd give you a dollar apiece for them, but I think you should hang on to 'em. If you think they're cool now, wait'll you catch a fish on them!!:thumb:

10. Jeff Hale

Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

Media:
    Flies from my 7 year old

Mad Max has 6 more of his "steelhead patterns" for sale. He wants $.75 each for them, or $4.00 for all 6 (wow! You can save yourself $.50 if you act now..but wait...that's not all...). He tied them on #6, wet-nymph Mustads, with bead chain eyes (one he did with dyed pink bead chain eyes that looks cool). Pink marabou tails with a small hunk of purple or blue over the top, palmered with hot-pink Polar Chenille, and he glued the heads with Softex. They are pretty nice ties actually. I fished one of them on the Sky last weekend, but I didn't find a fish anywhere (or at least I couldn't hook em'). Max says he only wants to sell them to someone who will "fish them" and he doesn't want them used as "models". I assured him that he wouldn't have to worry about that, but he's convinced he's only a small step beneath Skip Morris and A.K. Best. I think I might have to use some "diet shampoo" to reduce his Big Head size.

Dad...I mean Jeff

11. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    Flies from my 7 year old

that is awesome

12. spanishfly

spanishfly Steelberg

Media:
    Great job Max! I'd buy some but that would create a conflict of interest with my 6yo :) Keep up the good work you have great designs!

13. Peter Schmid

Peter Schmid New Member

Max and Jeff, Thanks!
    After the day I have just had I needed a thread like this to make me smile! Well done Max....I think the "pink" flies would be great for Pinks on the Fraser!
    Cheers!
    Peter...who can't wait to get home from work and see his kids!

14. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    Man, and i had heard they dont make the Sri Lanka kids go into the factories till they are 8! just kidding, that is super cool that he's into it, i started tying at the same time i started fishing, paid huge dividends. That pink thing would crush on some steelhead!

15. SteelieD

SteelieD Non Member

Media:
    Jeff, Since this in the classifieds, I'm thinking Max may just be serious. Tell Max he's in business. I'll drop him 10 bucks for some his finest steelhead catchers. The ones I tie aren't doing squat! PM me an addy if he's serious!

16. Jeff Hale

Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

Media:
    Steelie D,

that's cool, but he only has 6 tied right now, and he only wants 4 bucks for them. This is really more about stroking his ego and getting him excited to tie and keep at it. If you pm me with your address, I will send them to you, and when you get them, throw 4 bucks in a folded piece of paper and put it in an envelope and send it back. He'd love that. Besides, to a 7 year old, $4 is BIG money. Do you know how much CRAP you can buy at the dollar store for 4 bucks? :) Jeff

17. Peter Schmid

Peter Schmid New Member

about 4 things?
    :)

18. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    Nice work, Max! Go catch some fishes with those beautiful flies!

19. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

If you don't buy every one of them from him, and save them in a box in the safe, you will be sorry you didn't...

20. David Prutsman

David Prutsman All men are equal before fish

Max, I will take a dozen of your brown trout flies. Take your time though, I want to make sure they are quality. And, when I come back home to fish with your dad I will need a dozen of your clousers. Make sure to tie those eyes on really well, I knock them off on the rocks during my backcast sometimes:) Let me know when I can send you the money!

David

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.