My basecamp is about complete.

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Jerry Daschofsky, May 20, 2014.

1. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I know there's a better chance of winning the lotto. But you can't win if you never buy a ticket. Lol.

I'd seriously buy a whole tent just to get vestibule. So I'm constantly on the lookout.

2. splett

splett Active Member

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Ah, yeah. I stopped trying across the country. Most were leary about shipping anything. So pretty much gave up on that option. Of course I watch Ebay. But CL has been a big pain in the arse getting stuff shipped.

4. splett

splett Active Member

Craigslist is a big pain in the .....

5. Bradley Miller

Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Thats a great looking setup. Here is my one man version (V. 3.0) WP_20140709_09_24_19_Pro (1).jpg based on a lincoln-log-esque teardrop. No setup: tow and go. I hope. Almost done.

plaegreid likes this.
  6. splett

splett Active Member

7. Bradley Miller

8. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Looking good on the trailer. My problem is I always have a boat hooked up. But have an Alaskan camper I'm gutting and retrofitting. Gonna be my steelhead shack for certain trips (well already has been).

9. splett

splett Active Member

Careful that site is deep.Expidition portal has everything you could ever want to know about "Base camp".I built my drawer system for my truck with ideas from them.

I am planing and sourcing an expedition trailer because of that site.One that holds all the gear,built in kitchen,awning and can carry a toon.One that has 18" wheels and tires and can fit down into my favorite sniggle spots.Tired of loading unloading the truck every time we go which is a lot.Just hook up and go.That site will become addicting and costly.

10. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    It's funny you mention the all in one scenario. Actually had plans for a trailer. But my step brother (a fabricator) moved to Arizona with a different company. He made an awesome two story boat trailer. They had top bunk with two jet skis and lower bunk ski boat. Launch boat first, then use hydraulics to drop jet skis, then launch them. Made me think. Wanted him to make similar. But drift boat would be on top bunk and Alaskan camper on lower bunk. Get to camp and slide out camper. Hit the hydraulics on camper to raise it. Then hit hydraulic on trailer and boat is ready to go. No unhitching. Plus could leave extra gear in bed of pickup. Plus nice not having that extra weight in bed of truck at launches. Maybe someday. But i do a few week long camps. Not a biggie setting up tent for that. Now overnighters is a bit much for the guide tent. Where it's super quick to load camper and go.

11. Bradley Miller

So many good ideas! I think this little wooden teardrop will have a rack on top so I can transport my kayak.
    My goal is to be set up to eat, drink or fish within five minutes of hitting the base camp spot. Solar power trickle charger,
    a big 12v aux battery and multiple 12v sockets are planned.

12. splett

splett Active Member

I saw the battery well up front.Expidition portal has a section just on 12 volts.People share their personal builds and actually spend a fair amount of energy just sharing it.I added a second bat to the f 150 soley from info off that site.Probably cost less than 100.00,not including battery.

13. Bradley Miller

Thats very cool. I'm going to keep mine very basic. Seeing those cool expedition trailers has me energized to finish this so I can get OUT!
    August will be full of family commitments but come onnnnnnnnnnn September!

14. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'm afraid to go to that site. Seriously. Have other ideas. That site won't help me. Lol

15. splett

splett Active Member

16. Bradley Miller

Save yourself, Jerry. It's too late for me. I've been sucked into the vortex.....now I'm repainting the wheels black and shopping for gas cans to strap on the side and................

17. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    I had a old utility trailer that I got to haul my motorbike to the East coast and back. Got married, sold the bike. The new wife and I would go camping all the time. Hell, we camped over at Bumping Lake for our honeymoon. The trailer sat for a year before I thought of using it for camping.

I had some cabinets from a kitchen remodel. Used the set of pullouts and a lower door unit with a sink. These I faced back. Put a four foot high plywood wall around them. Couple of piano hinges to open up the counter and lid. Box on the front held firewood, A 110 ice chest, two 5 gl. Jugs and camp chairs.

Called it " Autochuck" Full kitchen on wheels. Sorry, no pics. Was before the net.

18. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Too late. I had already went through the site, saw the popup section, surfed it. I'm pretty much ef'n doomed. LOL. Saw some cool ideas for my popup. Also a few mods for different reasons then the original poster had made the mods for. I just need to just start ripping the damned thing apart. :)

19. Bradley Miller

I'm not even done with this one yet and now I'm thinking of the next version.
    I'd be smarter just going fishing and staying off of the computer. But I'm not real big on smart.

20. splett

splett Active Member

just blame me and go fishing....post pics tomorrow .