My basecamp is about complete.

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Jerry Daschofsky, May 20, 2014.

1. Bradley Miller

Bradley Miller Dances with fish

I think I will blame you but.......Now the trailer is up on jacks (wheels off so I can paint them satin black)
    and I've changed out all the hinges to satin black so no fishing for me. At least not until this puppy is ready to
    pull to Rocky Ford!

2. Fishinbeatsworkin

Fishinbeatsworkin Member

I should have stayed away from this thread. This could be a dangerous path. I'm always looking for a better way. Maybe I'll take splett's advice & blame him and go fishing

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Already went fishing, two days in a row. Doesn't help knowing that site is there. LOL.

4. splett

splett Active Member

5. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    OMG, talk about scoring.

I love that 6 man I picked up. For the work I do with veterans and just my other camps in general, I've been looking for another one. Found one in Sequim for $75. Said it needed a new rainfly, that it was leaking badly (figured I'd just recoat it with waterproofing). Come to find out, it sold before hand. Told her thanks. But she responded with "but I do have an 8 man with no rainfly you could have, but it's missing some poles too". I figured I could just buy the poles and use it with a tarp over it. Then she told me about a part number and a way to buy the new rainflies. Long story, but I even have all the info. It'll cost me about $200 to make this 8 man tent complete again (replacing a couple poles and the rainfly). Now here's the kicker. She showed up to hand these off to me (she had to drive to Auburn today, so met her in Tacoma). She said "I think you may have an extra tent, thought it may be the rainfly we found, but looks like it may be a tent, enjoy". Well, nope. It's not. It's a bunch of extra parts, strings, tie downs, etc. But it's TWO small zip in vestibules and the monster DELUXE vestibule!!!!! It's a slightly different green, but I don't care!!!!

Had to share.

6. splett

splett Active Member

You did score so now your tent will look like this.

I bet you did not know that you can use the vestibule to connect two tents.

I took a bunch if pics and a video but came to the conclusion you were going to have to us mine as a pattern.

Attached Files:

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hmmmmmm. I didn't know that. But having two I just may connect them.

8. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    Fracking phone posting. Jerry, will the 8 connect to the 6?

9. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
  10. splett

splett Active Member

I beliieve the vestibule will as it is labled a 6/8 man vestibule.

11. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    I should add I lucked into that deluxe vestibule. Found someone selling an older version 6 man guide super cheap. It has already sold, but seller told me she had an old 8 man I could have for free. Catch was that it has no rain fly and was missing poles. Her about troop bought new tents and wanted these old ones gone. I figured I could use it for parts I needed on my 6 man.

When we meet she had two bags. She found another tent and I could just have it since they didn't use them anymore. In the bag was some misc poles too. For $250 I could actually get 8 man operational again. Found a back door to get the new style rain fly. The big win was the second bag, BUT it had 2 standard zip in vestibules and one deluxe vestibule. Thanks to sprett for helping me out with set up.

Oh, and after after more testing I'm doing away with the bivy sack and getting a decent standard sleeping bag. Holds heat well in tent so bivy runs way too hot. Plus will go with more of a semi mummy bag. I'll keep my bivy for impromptu trips.

12. splett

splett Active Member

SPLETT

13. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
  14. splett

splett Active Member

Old joke from childhood school days.Teachers could not say it.Splitt and splatt were what would come out of Splett

Enjoy

15. splett

splett Active Member

I miss my base camp.

Melinda talked me into getting a room.I always stay at the olympic suitesmotel.worst night ever.not motels fault
    .still love this place.