My batteries have arrived, now how do I connect them?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Baseball_Junkie, Mar 31, 2011.

1. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

Jeff, glad you pointed out that link! And your right.

2. themaninthemoon

themaninthemoon Just waiting on warmer weather, .......

Think I'll be going to go hide in the corner now, ........

Oh yeah! great diagrams, this is what I was referring to but I still wound up getting it bass-ackwards when I was trying to reason it out.

I'm Sorry!

3. themaninthemoon

Has anybody else ever wondered why they would create a 12/24/36 volt operating systems but that the manufacturing base only creates battery voltage up to a 12 volt? Wonder why that is?

4. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    They made the systems to work with 12volt series wired batteries. Jumping to a higher voltage has two advantages. One is the increasing of available power. The other is to overcome voltage drop in longer runs.

5. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

24 volt batterys are common in the aviation field. Most of the smaller Pratt's and Allison turbine engines[only ones I'm familiar with] have 24 volt starters and/or starter generators. Substantial weight savings in a 24 volt system...smaller guage wiring. http://www.2aps.com/gill.htm If you think Optima batterys are expensive, these are in another ballpark!

6. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

Optima batteries didnt last long at the shops I have worked for, they didnt last and exchanging them out under warranty didnt pay ,so we stopped carrying them.

7. mojo

mojo Member

I know it's hijacking the original thread, but it's easier that way. Plus look at what runs on 6v,12v, and 24v. In my line of work, we have electric scissor lifts, manlifts that run 24v and 48v but it's all deep cycle 6v batteries in series (and they're also used for counterweighting). Last longer and in a pinch, you can change one if it craps out on you, but it's not advisable. Sorry for the jacking.

8. themaninthemoon

Yeah, you're right. It is/was hijacking the thread, & yes I am sorry for that too, but it was only for following the same train of thought, & I really hope nobody got P/O'd at me for bringing it up. The 20 year old M-60's had a 36v system for the starters, & yes the batteries were heavy as all get out, but the 300+ lb starters were the real dogs, but that's what it took to fire up a 12cylinder diesel/multifuel, air-cooled engine that ran these 60 ton beasts. Ahhhaaah! yep! Those, were the good old days.