My Buff aka 'Chingus' review with Bonus

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Codioos, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

I thought they were a fad or to make our freedom-fighters look bad ass. But it was hot on my trip through MT & ID last week so I picked one up, and I'm glad I did. Dubbed 'Chingus', this thing saved me from some serious burnage on the water. Not to mention it helps wisk sweat and keep the bugs off my face. Money.

Bonus: Some Grayling that I stuck and the tools used. Bad ass trip.

chingus1.JPG biggger1.JPG bigger2.JPG work.JPG stonner.JPG

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I just looked up that word Chingus. It's Koren. And I got a Koren rock band out of it. Tried to get the meaning of it, but it came up in Koren.

3. SquatchinSince86

SquatchinSince86 Totally Unprofessional

Glad you're staying hydrated.

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

So then I looked up the word "Buff" and came up with "Tubular Bandanas". Cheaper than the "Buffs"

What an Old Man does with his free time is the berries.

What lake were you in to catch Grayling ??

Codioos likes this.
  5. GAT

GAT Active Member

So that's what they call those things that make fly anglers look like train robbers. I thought they were scarfs.

I can't keep up with the trends...

6. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

OMJ, that's awesome you looked those words up. My cousin came up with the term "chingus" and it seemed appropriate. The lake is a local hike-in spot in MT. If you really want to know, I'll PM you.

7. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

I called them 'face socks'

8. I'll be the first one to say the Buff over the face is a ridiculous look.

I'll also be the first one with a Buff over my face on the water. No sunburn, no sunscreen and it's not like my face is all that great of a look either.

9. GAT

GAT Active Member

Oh well... The Shadow wore one and he was cool. Guess I'd wear one if it was red... and I planned to rob a train. :)

(I have always worn a wide brim fedora to keep the sun off my face ... evidently it worked)

10. chief

chief Active Member

The last time I was in Montana we hiked into a lake for Grayling - Steep uphill hike - lots of willing Grayling on dries - got pounded by a thunder storm on the way out - good times.

11. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Chinga...you know the rest...:eek:

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I'm not into hiking any place. If there is a half wide trail up to it I would take my ATV. It goes places that only Billy goats get to.

I know where there are a few lakes loaded with Cutthroat. And you need an ATV to get to them. This one little lake the fish just love a Royal Wulff. I tried other flies but the Wulff was the ticket.

13. McNasty

McNasty Canyon Lurker

ive been wanting to try one out. looks like they'd be nicewhen the hatches get so thick your pullin bugs outta your teeth or to protect from windburn which gets me pretty bad.

plus that badboy on my face between my puffy coat and my flat billed hat, ill be beatin the ladies off.

14. I don't know, I find that I'm still just beatin myself off. I don't have a flat brimmed hat so that might be the missing link.

Gary Knowels and McNasty like this.
  15. jwg

jwg Active Member

Simms has a UPF 50 version they call SunGaiter, and it has holes for the mouth/nose region. Also a looser fit.
    I've got a couple of Buffs too.
    Always good to have around, and even better to use before you need it.

16. jersey

jersey livin' the dream

they are fantastic and always in the pack

17. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Probably marketing drivel but I read that the buffs made from bamboo (or hemp?) fibers were cooler in hot weather and breath easier. I bought one but haven't used it yet.

18. GAT

GAT Active Member

You probably don't have a puffy jacket either :)

19. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

A fun bonus is that you can drink your fluids through the Buff without pulling it out of the way.

20. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Gross! Not through my buff, my official winter snot collector.
    My buff is red paisley, which I'm certain would get me shot in certain parts of Oakland. I like to wear it over my ears when the wind howls, keeps me from getting that windblown headache. I wish it fit a little looser around the neck, feels like wearing a tie on the river.

Codioos likes this.