my cast went to crap!

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by cuponoodle breakfast, Oct 20, 2013.

1. cuponoodle breakfast gritty

Arlington
    Ratings: +288 / 0
    I purchased my switch rod at the start of summer and felt pretty good about how quickly I got my casting down. I used it quite a bit for summer run fishing and after the first few outings, I was very comfortable with it and could fish it all day with very few hickups.
    After some time away from it I went out last week and felt like I was even worse off than when I first picked it up. From river right I'm still OK. But after I snap T on river left my leader is wrapping around my rod about every other cast. I'm thinking my anchor placement on the snap T is bad.
    Any ideas? Hopefully this is a simple thing to correct.
  2. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,578 / 0
    It is, simple thing to correct, that is. I can't analyze what's going wrong for you based on what you wrote. Then again, I'm probably not good enough to figure out what you're doing wrong even if I were watching you cast.

When my casting goes to hell, as it often does, I do two things: 1. slow down; 2. talk myself through each step of the cast, hoping to perform each properly and get the form back together. It usually works.

Sg
  3. Christian Brewer Super Slacker

Slacking in Mill Creek
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Salmo G's advice to slow down is right on.

Try lifting your rod tip higher before you do the snap...then after you snap keep your rod tip at the water level. Lifting your rod tip higher will break more surface tension from your flyline and get the sink tip/fly closer to the surface...this will help to reduce the required energy to snap the line/tip/fly over your rod. This all should help your line/tip/fly clear rod rod as it crosses in front of you.

Keeping your rod tip at the water level after your snap also sets you up to sweep the line off the water into your back cast...this will help to max load your rod on your back cast while forming your d-loop.

Keep trying and focus on the mechanics of the cast. Always try to do all of the motions with as little energy as needed.

Good luck,
    Christian
  4. underachiever !

suburban hell
    Ratings: +405 / 0
    I'm no expert, but I make a lot of shitty casts and when I'm having the problem you describe I find that watching the d-loop and making sure my rod tip travels a straight line seems to help.
  5. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,729 / 0
    As Bradley would say to me over and over and over again; SLOW DOWN, USE BOTH HANDS!
  6. WT Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    slow down, loosen your grip and keep your elbows in.
  7. hookedonthefly Active Member

Ratings: +121 / 0
    I'd bet a cold IPA that your cutting the corner on the sweep coming around to form the d-loop; thus, your rod is ending up straight up and down with no tilt off to the side...how's that for inter-web diagnosis? Have you hooked yourself yet? :D
    Cheers,
    Ed
    Oh...assuming river right, right hand high, cack-handed...and, on the forward stroke
  8. cuponoodle breakfast gritty

Arlington
    Thanks. I'll have to get out again and see what happens. When my cast has gotten sloppy before, focusing on keeping my hands in close has done the trick. I'll have to keep that in mind and slow down. With so much to do this time of year it's hard to find time for my switch rod. :)
  9. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +729 / 0
    Make sure your rod is high when you lift and when you accelerate, return the tip of the rod to the same place it was when you initiated the lift. Are you getting the line straight upstream?

Get a buddy to watch, it'll help, i know it has for me.
  10. Wayne Kohan fish-ician

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +93 / 0
    Step out of the water, go relieve yourself in the bushes. I find after a short break the casting comes right back. Sometimes I think that I think too much. Kinda like the golf swing.

Wayne
  11. cuponoodle breakfast gritty

Arlington
    Thinking too much is a big part of it. While on the water I would think it must be this or that, and it just got worse. I might get out on the water tomorrow.