My Favorite Beach Lines

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Anil, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    There was a recent post on choosing a line for the beach. I was too late to offer an opinion on that particular post, so as this is a popular question, I thought I’d offer my opinion. Given our location and our specialty, we sell a lot of lines for the beach. Here is what we sell the most of and why:
    1. Rio ‘Outbound Short’ intermediate: Easily our best seller. A clear intermediate 30’ shooting head seamlessly integrated to fluorescent yellow intermediate running line. This line allows a beach-bound angler to load most rods easily with only 30’-40’ of line in the air. I know that some earlier posters indicated that finding the correct line size can be difficult. In my experience 95% of anglers are happy with matching the 6 weight with a 6 weight rod. (Of course there are exceptions, which is why ideally you should go to a shop that allows you to cast lines). This line should not be confused with the original ‘Outbound’ line. The original outbound (still available) is 37.5’ of intermediate, welded to FLOATING running line. For a variety of reasons, the longer head and more ‘tangly’ (sure that’s a real word) running line were less popular than the new ‘Short’ version.
    2. S.A. ‘Streamer Express’ intermediate: VERY similar to the Outbound. 30’ of clear intermediate seamlessly welded to colored running line (the color changes depending on grain weight). Why don’t we sell as many of these? We hate the evil corporate entity that is 3M? Not really, the real reason is that with only 50 grain increments, it is tougher to match your rod. Example: Most beach fishermen fish a 5 or 6 weight rod. Rio offers the Outbound short in 5,6,7 or 200, 235, 265 respectively, the ‘Streamer Express’ is only offered in 150, 200, 250, and 300. I know this doesn’t significant, but often the 200 is too light and the 250 is too heavy. Although the 150 is a very cool option if you want to screw around with a 9' 3 weight.
    3. Both of these lines are also available in floating versions, although most anglers prefer an intermediate.

Here is what we sell fewer of and why:
    Airflo 40+: I am a big fan of Airflo as a company and they make some great lines, however… their decision to redesign this line and take it from a ‘clear’ head with yellow running line and instead make it a fluorescent chartreuse and hot orange color scheme left me scratching my head. What would you prefer in a sinking line for clear water; a clear line or one that’s neon green? Given the great alternatives from the other brands, this has been an easy choice for practically everyone.
    Traditional ‘clear’ intermediates: I’m going to lump all of these together: Cortland ‘Camo’, Rio ‘Aqualux’, S.A. ‘Stillwater’, etc… While these are still good options, shooting-head lines (like the ‘Outbound’ and Streamer express), allow most anglers to cast the same or often greater distance, with fewer false casts. On the beach shooting lines mean less fatigue, less bashing of your fly on the rocks behind you and more time with your fly in the water.
    The traditional lines were designed for lake fishing. They present smaller flies with more delicacy and precision. How often is that a factor on the beach?

2. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

The Professor speaks. Like E.F. Hutton, we should all listen. Good advce is often hard to come by.

3. Matthew Kaphan

Matthew Kaphan Active Member

Media:
    If you do a search for "airflo forty" on the auction site you can get a 2010 version of the 40+ from a seller in England for about $40 shipped.

If you're going to buy locally, go buy from Puget sound fly Co. they're good folks.

M

4. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

thanks for making this a little clearer, at least for me.

5. zoomin

zoomin Member

Great info - thanks for sharing.

I'd also be interested to hear your opinion of the Wulff Ambush and the new Ambush with clear sink tip.

6. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    Thanks, great info.

7. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:

We sell a lot of Ambush lines. They are great lines for tight fishing situations and roll casting. If you’ve done enough beach fishing (particularly as the tide comes in) you have been in situations where you didn’t have a lot of room behind you. This line excels in these situations.
    However, most casters will find it limiting on most beaches. The Ambush is an integrated shooting head line like the ‘Outbound’ and others. The main difference is that the head is only 20’ long. Longer shooting heads require a little more room, but will allow you to cast farther. A long shooting head is around 40’ and the Ambush would be at the other end of the spectrum at 20’. For that reason, I see it as a good line for a beginning caster or extremely tight situations.
    For those reasons, we don’t recommend them for an all-around beach line. If you are fishing tight in rivers and creeks though…

8. cb3fish

cb3fish Banned or Parked

All Wulff Ambush lines do not have 20 foot heads.

9. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    I opted for the Cortland Precision Camo -- just loaded the spare spool today. A bit of a compromise I know, but I really wanted a line I could use also use for the lakes. Several that replied to my post recommended it and many suggested those you noted as the top picks for primary beach duty.

10. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Nice summary and great info as always Anil.
    I'm also a huge Airflo fan but have no love for the new 40+ intermediate line color.
    I could deal with the running orange running line if the head was clear. Very nice casting line and I used it for a few months but quit using it after watching numerous coho turn away at the rod tip.

11. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Thanks Anil
    I've posted some on my struggle with these lines, primarily the older outbound being significantly over weighted (IMO), and sinking too fast as well. Over all I'm pretty happy with the SA SE, but if you have the Rio short outbound (hover) in the 6 and 5 wts that I could try, I will come and see you.
    Thanks again for your input.

12. Dale Dennis

Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

Excellent run down on the beach lines Anil, and I will definitely agree the Rio outbound short or the S.A. Mastery series Streamer Express are perfect lines for the beach or boat fishing the salt. These are one to two false casts lines that will shoot a mile when you let them.

13. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    Perhaps I should have specified: All Ambush lines that are 8 weight and shorter feature 20' shooting heads.
    Since our discussion focused on Puget Sound beach lines, I chose not to include lines that weren't relevant.

14. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Thanks Anil. that's some good info. I did not like my original Rio Outbound. The head did seem a bit long, but I attributed that to my lack of casting expertise. I also did not like the "tangly" running line.

I bought a lightly used Airflow 40+ floater in 6 wt from another member here, but haven't tried it out yet.

15. cb3fish

cb3fish Banned or Parked

Anil,

No problem buddy. I just didn't want somebody who wasn't up on these lines to see that, and be confused. Have a great day.

Carl

16. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    The Outbound Hover and SA Streamer Express are first-rate lake lines as well. . . I'm a 90% stillwater guy and fish primarily in the Columbia Basin and reservoirs in ID, MT, and WY where flat calm conditions are the exception. I made the switch a couple of years ago and use the hover (5wt) as my go-to sinker for the immediate shallows out to 8-10' deep and the SE (5 i.p.s. sink rate, 150gr on a 5wt rod) for 10' and deeper. I like them best when I'm sitting in a boat vs a float tube. . .easier to pick up the entire head on a single back cast.

17. Chester Allen

Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Home Page:
    Anil knows his stuff. I bought several of my sea-run cutthroat lines from him.
    I use the Rio Outbound Intermediate most often, followed by the Airflow 40 sinker. I also carry a floater, which I use if the fish are super shallow or when I'm fishing one of Leland Miyawaki's excellent, excellent poppers.
    If I'm fishing a sinking line, I want it to hammer for the bottom, especially when fishing Puget Sound's fast tidal flows.
    This is a great thread...

18. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    A great thread that could use a bump! ;)

Eyejuggler likes this.
  19. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

Media:
    Over the past 2 years I've been fishing with a fairly fast action rod (9'6" 7 wt Sage One) and a very fast action rod (10'0" 7 wt Sage Method). After a lot of experimenting with different lines, I've settled on an 8 wt full length OB for the Method but can't make up my mind regarding the One. On my One, a 7 wt OB short and a 7 wt RIO Striper line cast very differently but both shine in certain situations (basically the Striper line is the most fun to cast but requires plenty of space for back casts and wind <5 mph).

I've been reluctant to fully commit to 8 wt lines on my 7 Method (how many times have we all heard "the Outbound is already overlined so don't go up a line") but my impressions were the same as in the (very informative) review in the link below. I recommend anyone who is in the market for a new rod take the time to read the material in the link.

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/ge...pal-best-saltwater-fly-rod-fly-rod-comparison

20. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    Bill, IIRC they were using a bonefish taper line in that shootout which is much closer to a traditional weight than an Outbound/OBS so their thoughts on uplining don't directly compare. That said, it doesn't mean that certain rods and casting styles won't be well suited to uplining even with these heavy shooting heads. I've been using my 8wt Outbound (regular) on a 9'6" 7wt CPS since last year and it will cast it fine. It easy to feel the load (obviously). As my casting has (slowly) improved I do find that the line can overwhelm the rod on occasions. My guess is I would prefer the 7wt line on it, but I already had the 8wt so that's what I've used. I recently started fishing my 8wt Redington RS4 (very similar to CPS) with said line, and I prefer it to the 7wt with this line.

One other thing, the 9'6" versions do have more power than the 9' ones so it seems like they can handle a bit more line.