My Favorite Day of the Year

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Chris Bellows, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    I will have to wait another month and a half, but Neah Bay opened for coho today. Good luck to the early birds with this summer's large Columbia River coho run.

Cannot wait but at least the vise keeps my mind from getting too jealous.
    [​IMG]

Irafly, Patrick Allen and Alexander like this.
  2. Joepa

Joepa Joe from PA

Finally! I plan to be out there next weekend. Hope the weather cooperates. Sounds like there's some fish around from the gear reports I've read.

3. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    Chris, is the popper with the eyes on it made with SF Blend material? What type of foam head are you using?

4. rotato

rotato Active Member

Getting stoked for it
    May I ask where you guys stay?
    I've rented from olsans in CQ plenty of times but it's been years since I camped at Hoboken out at neah
    Can you keep a skiff at the dock in the harbor?
    Thanks and good fishing fellas

5. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I was out there last week before the coho opener. Four friends and I chased the Kings. We got four. Mine was about 20 lb. but my brother got one over 25 and another friend got one probably close to 30 lb. It was worth the trip. The water was smooth and the sun was out part of the day. The bar was as flat as I've ever seen it, both ways.

6. Joepa

Joepa Joe from PA

Rotato -
    You used to be able to camp on the beach south of Hobuck for $5 a day but that's no longer an option. Even when it was an option, I would still usually camp at Snowcreek for convenience if I could get a particular site I liked, but after several bad experiences there over the years, I've decided to start splurging on a room/cabin. Being able to grab an undisturbed nap in the afternoon is worth the extra expense to me now. When I'm with my Dad we stay at Chito Beach because he really likes it there. I also have a cabin reserved at Hobuck for a friend's visit in August, and I've booked a couple weekend stays at Bullman beach inn this year. You have to book the motel rooms months in advance, so it's probably too late at this point - not sure about all the cabins though. I'm sure you can keep a skiff at Big Salmon, but if you're limited to fishing in the Straits, it's been my experience that coho don't typically show up inside in good numbers until about the 3rd week of July.

7. Chris Bellows

Media:
    I like camping at Hobuck. It gets you out of town and one cannot beat being at the beach. It is spendy for camping though ($25). I used to live in an travel trailer all summer at the Cape and it is a great location and run by a great couple (I think Gordy and Cheri are still there), especially if you moor your boat as you can walk to the marina in the morning. The drawback is you get the cooler thieves looking for beer but that is easily solved by either not drinking or keeping booze locked up inside your RV or vehicle (be aware that alcohol is illegal on the reservation so be respectful and at least keep it hidden if you drink). I've stayed at Snow Creek a couple times with a buddy who likes it there but I have never understood the attraction besides not being on the reservation if you don't want any of your money going to the Makah. To me, Snow Creek is muddy, noisy (right on the road), bad facilities, away from town (I like the vibe of Neah Bay), and the only place in the area with shitty cell service.

Last summer I actually priced it out and for 1 or 2 day trips I would moor the boat and sleep onboard. Way cheaper and nothing like waking up, starting the engine and letting it warm up while packing up the sleeping bag and pad, and then motoring off. Of course this only works if the weather is nice or you have an enclosed boat for bad weather. The marina in Neah Bay is top-notch and worth mooring your boat at if you want to save some time in the morning by not dealing with the boat launch.

8. Chris Bellows

Media:
    The foam is 7/16" Foam Cylinders. I cut it them in half (just under 3/4" each), use a hot bodkin to create a hole dead center in the foam, and then dremel out a bit of the back side of it to allow the material underneath to taper out of it better (kind of like a conehead). The tail is white craft hair with some flash and then I create a body with SF Flash Blend. I tie the body like King's Kinky Muddler to get the head and body to have a natural taper. I have tested it in the pond behind my place in FL and it casts and behaves just how I want on the water. We'll see how the coho like it in August.

9. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    right on, thanks!

10. rotato

rotato Active Member

Thanks for the intel
    I'm in!

11. Joepa

Joepa Joe from PA

Regarding Snow creek, one of the benefits is being able to launch from the beach and easy access to your boat. I used launch from the beach (not using the hoist) with my old boat, but I wouldn't try it now with my current boat. If you can get the spot at the end of the dock, it's a great camping location (more scenic than anything at Hobuck IMO), but the logging trucks will wake you up, and you have to keep an eye out for skunks. I've never been a big fan of Hobuck, but if you're just looking for a place to crash in a tent, its fine.

12. Joepa

Joepa Joe from PA

Back from 3 days at Neah. The good news is there are good numbers of coho in the green water. The bad news is, there's not a lot of green water out there right now. I didn't fish inside at all, and out in the ocean it was mostly brown (like 90%) due to what I assume is a very large algae bloom (ran into a similar bloom a few weeks ago in the San Juans that ruined my last ling trip of the season). Swiftsure was particularly bad. I had to go south to find pockets of green water. Table top fished well and there was a pocket of green water 3-5 miles west of tatoosh that also fished well but was all clouded up this morning. I actually wasn't able to find any green water today. The fog didn't help. The coho I caught were feeding on the surface on krill and on the small side. About 80% wild for me. I really hope the bloom is gone when I return in 2 weeks. I've never seen it like that out there before.

13. Chris Bellows

Media:
    Funny how with these earlier salmon seasons we're getting a feel for June fishing. When I was out there I cannot remember coho ever opening before the 1st of July. As early July could be sporadic back then with even bigger Columbia River runs I imagine that June will continue to be hit or miss as it was for my few trips last June. That brown water is wild stuff and I only remember seeing it back it 05' when the fishing was out of this world terrible. Like you, I hope it clears up soon as I suspect it will with some good hard tidal flushes.

14. Joepa

Joepa Joe from PA

Chris - I was wondering if you ever ran into that out there. I've never seen it before at Neah. It was bad enough that I could not see my prop at rest. We have 7 days of minus tides and some bigger swells in the forecast later this week, so hopefully that will do some good. In '05 how long did the bloom last? That was the one year in the last decade that I didn't fish out there.

15. Chris Bellows

Media:
    It may not have been as bad and I don't recall it lasting that long. The fishing was terrible that year so I'm not sure I was paying as much attention to the brown water to just wondering if I would ever find decent fishing where a good day was fishing hard all day for 2-4 fish... not Neah Bay'ish at all.

I wonder if the brown water made the difference or that it is just still early. How was the radio or dockside chatter about the king fishing in the brown soup? I wonder if there are loads of fish around if the water color would make that much difference.

16. Joepa

Joepa Joe from PA

Apparently the Chinook fishing was pretty good at swiftsure, but slow near-shore. Sounded like guys were trolling in the 170-220 range on the bank, Not sure if that's typical for out there or not. It seemed deep to me, but maybe they needed to get below the bloom? Still, I imagine with how dark the water was at the surface that there was not much light penetration at those depths. I didn't hear any radio reports of coho being caught. A fish checker told be about the coho 4-5 miles off tatoosh. Said a guy the day before had released over 20 silvers there.