My First Custom Fly Rod

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Luv2Spey, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Here are some pictures of my first attempt at building a fly-rod by hand. I chose a Sage ZXL 376-4 blank. In other words, it’s a 7ft 3wt which I’ll use as my go-to rod for fishing small water — but especially the middle- and south-forks of the snoqualmie rivers.

This first picture shows the engraved butt-cap (my initials) and the joint wraps. Note: I chose only to trim the wraps of the joints. I initially had trimmed all the wraps but I thought it looked too busy.

[​IMG]

This picture demonstrates the decal and the wrap of the first joint. I chose this picture because it shows the only major flaw in my effort. The cellophane of the decal shows. I will be redoing this when my new decals arrive.

[​IMG]

2. That is a hell of a blank to wrap for a first rod :) good color choice. I clean the blank with DNA and I use a wallpaper roller to seat any decals. You would be amazed what comes off of a blank. Everything is repetition so the more you do the better the finish product will look. It feels great catching a fish on a rod that you built your self. Welcome to the addiction