My First Golden bone!

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Jay Burman, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Jay Burman

Jay Burman Experienced Ne'r do well and Layabout.

Media:
    I landed my first fly caught Carp Thursday. What a thrill! It was like hooking a Bull Elk. I used a Carp Candy fly on floating line on an eight weight rod, reel and line. It was very similar to catching a Bonefish on the flats. I should have tried this long ago. Carp are all over the place and almost no one targets them, plus they're disgusting to eat so catch and release and poaching shouldn't be a problem. Fishing for Carp is great fun because it's all sight casting. My first was a modest 10 Lbs or so and I sure it won't be my last. :thumb:

2. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    Nice work, Jay. Soon, we'll see destination carp fishing, complete with guides and fancy lodges and specially designed flylines. More seriously, carp could be the perfect quarry if you prefer to fish without much company.

Now my question to you is, when did you hook a bull elk on a flyrod? What fly did it take, and did you release it or was it a hatchery elk that you bonked and took home?

Steve

3. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
  4. Jay Burman

Media:
    The last Bull Elk I hooked was back in 2007. I hooked him by accident. I was casting an apple pattern for Blacktail Deer when all of a sudden this bull elk shot out and grapped my fly. My tippet was too light and he snapped my leader.

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Great thread, brough a smile to my face. Speaking of face, is that Carp-ola making the Mingo-O-face in your post there Alpine? Mingo might not like being copied like that. I wonder if Coach knows about Golden Bones too.

6. Connor H

Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Media:
    Jay, Carp are addictive... I will be out tomorrow to chase down some brown rascals!

7. alpinetrout

Media:
    PS: Calling them "golden bones" is for newbs who say shit like "brownlining".

8. ReelFlyBro

ReelFlyBro Team Short Bus

Media:
    good work Jay

alpine, really? who fk'n cares

9. FLGator

FLGator Member

Have you taken a bull elk?

Carping is a great way to pass the time, but comparing a carp to the magisty of a bull elk...seriously?

Also, you mention they're disgusting to eat. Have you tried them? Delicacy to many.

One last thing...how do you poach carp?

10. Trent

Trent Ugly member

alpine does:thumb:

11. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Poaching carp?
    Put a couple inches of water (season to taste) in a large pan. Place steamer in pan. Add carp filets (season to taste). Cover pan and bring to boil. Remove from heat when filet is flaky.
    Poached carp.
    For more carp cooking tips, just send me a PM or look it up on the world wide web.

12. ReelFlyBro

Media:
    are you serious? how does it taste if you are. stereo types aside, since I myself am an asian brother, have never kept a carp. I know alot of others my type do and I get kind of grossed out about it. I just assumed they were not good eating. my family never ate them, or really caught them much for that matter. let me know, lol :thumb:

13. alpinetrout

Media:
    I saw carp on the menu at several restaurants in Hungary and Slovakia, just never tried it because I was too busy eating zander and Wels catfish. They were originally stocked in the US as a food supply. Over the years, they've developed a stigma because they're capable of living in conditions that other fish can't survive in, plus they were often eaten by poor people and minorities. If you were to eat one that you caught out of a dirty canal, it would probably taste about as good as a trout would out of the same water.

14. Banzai

Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

They make pretty good kamaboko. Especially if treated as you would a Pink (bled and on ice quickly).

15. suckegg

suckegg Active Member

I fish for them almost weekly. Sometimes several times a week. Gary do you have good carp flats on the big C near you? I never make it up the river that far but I should get up there and "harass the bass" too. Feel free to PM if your flats are cherished locations;)

Asians, Eastern Euros and the Jewish community all consider carp a delicacy. I have old timers telling me to bring them one home.

I like calling them carp as it grates the elitist crowd... golden bone is what's in my pants or at least that's what the women call it :D

16. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    i dont think its possible to poach a carp considering you dont even need to have a liscense to target them.

they fight like hell and can be impossibly tight lipped and spooky at times. they were great all summer but im glad to have the anadromous fish back. wading around green lake and getting drilled by socks and sandals wearing housewives got a little old.

"yes im really fishing green lake."
    "they are carp."
    "no really im fishing for carp."

17. Jay Burman

Media:
    I once saw on a news program that the traditional Christmas Meal in Poland is boiled Carp with melted butter. Kinda makes me nauseous to think about it, however I understand that Carp are a sought after game and food fish in Europe and Asia. I'm glad that they are overlooked here. I guess that explains why they grow so large and plentiful.

18. ReelFlyBro

Media:
    hahaha. that is classic.

19. Connor H

Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Media:
    Update: I didn't get to fish today. I did make good use of the time though by tying about 10 new carp patterns I was busy inventing. Gettin' out fo 'sho tomorrow to try the new patterns out...

20. Jacob Peterson

Jacob Peterson Member

Carp were brought over here buy german immigrants because they are considered a major food source in europe and asia. They are pretty good if cooked right. I have even heard people clame they are the best fish they have had when under the hands of a skilled cook. Crap, now I need 2 go fishing again