My first SRC

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Allan H, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Allan H

Allan H Member

Woo Hoo! :beer2:

I caught my first SRC last night!

I went out to Picnic Point to get in a couple hours on the incoming tide before sunset (park closes at dusk). Pulled in around 06:30 PM and was a little discouraged at first because there were a lot of people on the beach and nice layer of green muck floating on the water.

Since I was already there and the breeze felt soooo nice, I pushed on anyway. I went out past the muck and started fishing on the North side of the park near the rock break-wall. After a couple hours and several fly patterns later, I was thinking all was lost, the sun was setting and the park would soon be closed. Giving myself 15 more minutes, I switched to a brown fly that closely resembles a Muddlers Minnow (don't know the actual name) and started slowing the pace of my strip.

Then it happened, "strip..strip..strip..YANK! :eek: " I was so suprised that I almost dropped my rod, fortunately I remembered to keep good line tension and slowly brought the fish to hand. It was a real nice little 6" trout, I was so happy that I almost gave the little guy a kiss! Thank god I didn't, there was quite a congreagation on the beach behind me by this time.

Thanks to everyone on the forum for posting your tips on saltwater flyfishing I would never have been able to get this far without your help :thumb: .

Allan

2. Teeg Stouffer

Teeg Stouffer Fish Recycler

Media:
    Home Page:
    You think that's good, just wait until you catch 6 rather than a 6 incher, or when you catch one that goes 16! They're there, keep doing what you were doing and you'll do it. Congrats on the first fish.

3. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Media:
    Or, the first time a silver grabs your fly when you're used to those little 6-10" SRC...

Willie

4. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Media:
    ............or the first time you hook a blackmouth or chum when you're expecting a SRC! All these things are coming your way man....keep tossing those bugs into the surf and picking seaweed off your line...it's worth it!

it is a lot easier when you use a stripping basket...... :)

5. wboles3

wboles3 Member

Media:
    Allen,

Well done. :thumb: I to am new to the world of the "salt". I been out four times and have been successful twice. I am definitely hooked.

Bill

6. Bart

Bart New Member

Way to go :thumb:

Bart