My first SRC.

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Reefmeup, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Reefmeup New Member

Olympia,Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    SO I found a beach that doesnt get fished. Big cutts everywhere. I was fishing a blue and white bait fish pattern. He was only about 12'' but its my first saltwater catch on my fly rod. Yippe for me babby. Those things are like missles coming up out the water, very exciting.:thumb:

:beathead:I found it difficult to cast the heavy fly but i got the hang of it. :ray1:Any suggestions for retrieval? Maybe everyone could tell me how they strip it? :ray1:
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,357 / 9
    Quick steady, slow steady, twitchy, change rod tip location for changes in direction, strip strip pause strip strip pause. Any and all can work.

And most of all, congratulations.
  3. Tom Johnston Been around a while

Lala land!
    Nice work on the first fish. Lately I have been using a fast to really fast retrieve. They have really slammed it HARD. All of what Mumbles has mentioned work, it all depends whats on the end of the line. Im no master at this game. I stay away from clousers most of the time. I hate casting them, and really hate them hitting my rod tip. My go to right now is something that is sub surface. Shock n awe??? or even a little Chum baby??? You get the point. Now welcome to the addiction of Sea runs. Only 4 more working days then I can hit the salt.:thumb:
  4. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    now try a floating baitfish pattern
  5. Reefmeup New Member

Olympia,Wa
    I would but I couldnt find them at my local fly shop (Cabellas, and sportsman wharehouse). I should really learn to tie my own. :eek:
  6. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    cabelas and Sportsmans are not fly shops....

What you can try is an unweighted baitfish pattern (like a deciever) with a Rainy's dink foam head slipped onto your leader. its essentially the same thing as a popper/slider but two parts instead of one.
    Next time you head up north visit Anil and Clark at Puget Sound Fly Co and they can get you set up to have some fun with floating patterns.
  7. Reefmeup New Member

Olympia,Wa
    Sad to say they are now the closest thing I have to a fly shop.bawling: I would also have to say they are extremely lacking in the fly department. Even though at SMW the price is sure right. Thanks next time im up north I will have to swing in there.
  8. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Fishy Business
    2415 Harrison Ave
    Olympia, WA 98502
    360-352-0383

This from a listing search on the WWW as posted on the WFFF. Listed as a guide service, I'm sure someone there can tell you where to get the goods locally (maybe they will tell you to go to Cabelas.)
  9. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    I'll tie you some, shoot me a PM, I've never seen good ones in a fly shop.

they essentially slay dollys and cutts in the spring, 3 or 4 to 1 top v. subsurface, especially where streams flow it, dead drift with twitches in the current...

[IMG]

[IMG]
  10. Tom Johnston Been around a while

Lala land!
    There is a fly shop in Tumwater.

Streamside Anglers Fly Fishing Outfitters
    4800 Capital Bvd SE
    Tumwater, WA 98501
    360-709-3337
    email: searuncutt01@aol.com
    Rods: Orvis, Cortland, Sage
    Reels: Bauer, Orvis, Sage, Cortland, Ross
    Waders: Simms, Orvis
    Guide Service
  11. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    To update the fly shop situation in the Olympia area, Streamside closed several years ago and Fishy Business about a year or so ago. The only dedicated shop in the area that I know of is

The Fly Fisher
    5622 Pacific Avenue SE
    LACEY, WA 98503-1271
    360-491-0181

Of course, a number of the shops in western Washington are happy to ship whatever you need. For saltwater flyfishing, I recommend both

Puget Sound Fly Co.
    25616 Pacific Hwy. S.
    KENT, WA 98032
    253-839-4119

and

Orvis Bellevue
    10223 NE 10th
    (425) 452-9138

Steve
  12. Tom Johnston Been around a while

Lala land!
    Thanks for the update Cabezon.
  13. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    Congrats on your first SRC.
    I feel like I'm really missing out on some great fishing, but I can't seem to get my mind around heading to the wet side. Too many crazy people driving around.
    Congrats also on finding a beach to yourself.
    I've been tieing a clouser without the dumbbell eyes for fishing in the Bahamas.
    I have been using wire to weight the fly and tieing the fur/feathers so the hook rides upright.
    Send me a PM and I'll tie ya up some, maybe we can do a trade os some kind.
  14. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Gary, I'd like to see those. I've been considering a clouser type fly without the barbell eyes too. Streamlined with the lead wrapped might make casting better? Anyone know?
  15. Reefmeup New Member

Olympia,Wa
    Thanks guys. I didn't know about the Shop on pacific. Thanks for the info.

To Gary and Poweder monkey, I will take you guys up on that. And with much appreciation:thumb:

Thanks, Fish Karma for all!
  16. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    I'll take a couple of pics and post them.
  17. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +205 / 0
    Reefme

Cabezon has put you on the right track for local fly shops. Bjorn at the Fly Fisher in Lacey can tie virtually anything you want, but doesn't really specialize in SRC stuff, so he doesn't usually have a lot in stock. He is a true artist, and can make anything you can dream of.

I worked at Fishy Business until they went under to make room for Cabelas and Sportsmans' (sardonic aside). I still provide patterns for a few local guys, so pm me if you wish, but be warned, I'll nudge you forcefully toward using tube flies for SRC's for a number of reasons, principally the good of the fish.
  18. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Here's some pics a couple of my clousers.
    I'm always open to make improvments.
  19. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Freedon
    I'm very interested in the tube flies.
    I learn better by looking at pictures as well as the written word.
    Thanks Gary
  20. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +205 / 0
    I've just been tying a bunch, so will kodak them this evening, and figure out how to post the jpegs. I just took some shots, clicked on "Insert Image" on the tube bar, and entered Tubes 001 etc. I've never put a picture on this site, so at this point, I'm whistling in the wind. let's see if it works.
    Most of the patterns are on plastic tubes, some of the big ones are on heavy brass for instant sink, and the popper work best on aluminum, since the extra mass makes them a little easier to cast. I must get an good extra meter or so.

One of the reasons I first started using them was because of all the short strikes. I was getting into rezzies and having like 20 missed fish in an outing. They were flossing their teeth chewing on the bucktail, since they take from the tail . A friend turned me onto using stingers, and suddenly I was catching fish.

Then Roger showed me his tube flies, which I found quicker to tie, easier to change the hook, if you break fish off, all they have stuck in them is the hook, no barbells, shank, etc. Plus the flies last forever, since they ride up the line, and you just slide the fly out of the way, and there is your hook exposed for your release tool or hemostat. If they're hooked deep, you cut off the hook, and you still have your fly, and this has a better chance of survival.[IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Roger Stephens has posted a lot of really good info on tubes here over the years