My first SRC.

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Reefmeup, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Well, that was obviously a bust. Anyone want to hold my liver spotted old hand and talk me through the drill, I've got 3 mediocre pictures on my desk top that I'll share.

2. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

Appears you have the same level of computer skills as I, Freedon :(....just one of many things in life that I'm not very skilled at -- like fly fishing! :beathead:

As one liver-spotted old hand to another, tight lines!:beer2:

Jc:)

3. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Hey Mumbles. when your fly is close enough to see try changing your rod tip location and see how much your fly changes direction. You gotta pretty much throw some line, I think the kids call it "mending" to actually change the direction your fly travels in. when it's close in laying your rod at ninety degree angle can buy some direction change, but when it's far out, even that does diddly... Not trying to rain on your parade. Play around a little and you'll find some tricks, but what you described won't do much...

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Philster, I actually do a small roll mend in the line. I also swap hands so my rod goes from 90 degrees out on my left to 90 out on the right. I try to really open the gap to actuall make it do something. I know moving your rod tip a few inches at the tip is next to no movement at the fly. It is the opposite of a golf shot. Errant shot 3 degrees right at impact is waythehell out of bounds to the right at touchdown. Good looking out for my stupid ass though, thanks. Generally I'll try one retrive, change, change, change, sometimes I'll vary things on each retrive of the fly. Sometimes I catch fish, sometimes they follow, sometimes I get to cast again without any nasty fish slime on my hands.

5. Steven Green

Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Media:
    When I change rod tip direction I put some extra force into it and it has moved the fly enough in my case. Some days thats the only way to get a strike. Maybe the fly is not sharply zig zagging back and forth but rather making s curves through the water. Either case, it seems to work ok.

6. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    Two words for you Gary, Eye Balls

7. Ed Call

Media:
    AK PM, I think Gary is weighting the body and trying to make a smoother casting baitfish imitator that does not have the bulky eyes.

8. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Steven an Mumbles. If you're getting the movement you want cool. Just don't want any new folks thinking that if you move your rod tip 5 feet over either way your fly is going to serpentine its way back to you. Heh Heh. The Inlaws... Heh Heh... "Serpentine! Serpentine!" Heh Heh:p

9. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

Dang it all! Because I don't know zip about the subject (fly fishing), I have been relying on the swell info provided herein (this here forum) and did not know that merely moving your rod tip around would NOT affect the action of the fly in water :hmmm:!! This of course is complicated further by the fact that I can not actually "see" any of my flies since they are underwater and at a distance of 15-60 feet (on a good day!) and still have not experienced the sheer joy of fishing or catching anything on anybodys popper anyhow. I still haven't decided on what/which floating line to use despite all the talk on the subject provided herein.....duhhh :confused: !!

As you suggest Philster, this would depend somewhat on the distance from the rod tip to the fly - would this not also depend on the current, the wind, how you hold your mouth, have you pee'd recently, the angle of your rod tip to the current, the forces applied to the changing of the rod tip such as sudden, sharp, powerful, slow, deliberate, smooth etc. etc....how many variables are there anyhoo?

Not trying to be a smart-ass here (although it does come naturally :rolleyes:), it's just that I'm in this "Black Hole of Knowledge" and don't enough time left to discover all the elements necessay for sucessful (relative term) results on my own - neither can I afford the gas or time to explore every square foot of beach or find a decent place to fish! bawling:, or try every rod, line, reel & fly out there! I pretty much rely on youse guys for guidance.....:)

Just trying to glean as much info as possible in the shortest amount of time - aren't we all?

Jc :beathead:

10. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Freedon
    To post a picture off the desk top go to the (Go Advanced) and click then you will see on the lower part of the page (Manage Attachments) click on that, go to the browse in the little window, that will show you your desk top icons (pics) double click on your pic.
    I hope that works for you.
    Gary

11. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

ak pm
    I have not tried the glue on eyes yet.
    I watched how it was applied and it seemed kinda funky.
    I'm thinking about a feather like jungle cock or some thing else that looks like and eye.
    Just fun trying (tieing) new things.
    I'm always amazed when I catch fish on some fly I made up.

I'm going to be gone for a week of fly fishing in Montana, I'll post a report and pics when I get back and we can work on the tube flies and others.
    Gary

12. Ed Call

Media:
    Philster, also when I'm using my sharkskin, it floats very well and if I roll/mend my line outward from the current retrieve path the mended portion of line actually causes the rest of the line to track to that point. I see your point well, and guess that I've been doing that but simplified it by calling it moving my tip. I have tried it with my intermediate and sinking lines, but neither seem to redirect the line on the retrieve as much, if at all.

13. Metrocync

Metrocync New Member

Hi there! This is maybe off subject, but wanted to put this out there..

If you are specifically targeting SRC, please use a fairly small hook:thumb:

Large hooks tend to swing in the mouth area and can slash the tar out of our beloved buggers.

A smaller hook has less of an arch when they do swing and generally do less damage the fish's mouth.

Thanks!

Metro

14. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    :rofl: As you pointed out EVERYTHING is connected when it comes to retrieves. How high your rod tip is off the water, current, wind, swells, distance to the fly, etc... EVERYTHING. But it's simple enough. Just use geometry. Draw a series of triangles with you at point A, fly at point B, and rod tip at point C. Vary the locations of point B and C and introduce the fact that when you alter the rod tip, you don't get straight line between B and C, you get a curve with the majority of the line still laying straight between you and the fly along the original path (correcting for current drift), and you can see just how little variation you're getting unless you throw huge mends when the fly is quite close for a last minute spark of interest, but even then you're disturbing the water so much you'll probably put most followers off! It's actually quite depressing if you think about it too much:eek:

That's one of the things I like about this place. Even when people aren't thinking of these things, all you have to do is plant a little seed, sit back, and watch folks start analyzing and coming up with solutions...

15. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

Thanks you, sir....quite the "gardener" you are Sunshi.., er, I mean Philster! :rofl:

Jc

16. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

Actually, everything is depressing if I think about too much........I've noticed that even my casting improves when I don't think about it too much....doh!!:beathead::beathead:

Jc

17. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    damn you guys get complicated...

18. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:

Exact opposite... I'm suggesting you don't waste time listening to old wives tales about "changing direction". Sometimes you have to think complicated thoughts once to fish in an uncomplicated manner for the rest of your life:p I just strip...

19. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    I am a gardener. I do it for selfish reasons. I've had many solutions to problems I couldn't solve presented to me by people here. Lots of my socalled "wisdom" is really just a cry for help! I wish I was kidding.

20. Tom Johnston

Tom Johnston Been around a while

Media:
    Hey John, we have a good place to fish! Ill be there before sun break Sat. Im going to try and land another big one.