My first SRC.

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Reefmeup, Sep 8, 2008.

1. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Philster, you've got it wrong... I am 100% with you. "I just strip" - exactly!
  2. Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

Lakewood,Wa.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    iagree. No wounder your guy's hook up rate is minimal. You guys think way to much when fishing. Go with the flow and the Force of the bite will lead you to a good reward.
    :p
  3. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    I do fine thanks....:clown:
  4. jcnewbie Member

Kent, Washington
    :thumb: Right on mah man!!

Probably see ya Sunday too, hmmm?

What a "rush" today with that cuttie(?) on....what would you say - about 4-5 minutes of "play time" with that little rascal....??....seemed like 15 minutes! My first one of mentionable size....of course I can only guess about 15-16 inches and didn't realize at first he was anywhere near that big until I started to "strip" him in....he didn't like that one damn bit and let me know it too, haha!

I was trying to be very careful so as not to hurt him too much and didn't want to "horse him in" or exhaust him either....delicate balance!

Jc (Jon):)
  5. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    4-5 mintues? are you kidding?
  6. Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

puget sound
    On a 16in fish I usually would average 1-2min max probley even less, the longer you play them the more damage it does.....

Jake
  7. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,355 / 9
    Come on guys. Who actually has that accurate a sense of timing when fighting a fish that has been taunting you all day? Four minutes or forty seconds, unless you have someone else there checking their watch. Aren't we supposed to balance the fight somewhere between the hook and yank and the everlasting battle? Anyway, what the hell do I know?
  8. Tom Johnston Been around a while

Lala land!
    Fish did not want to come in at all! It would come in run out, come in and run out again.
  9. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +204 / 0
    Gary T

thank you, I should have kept looking for the attachment icon, but hit the insert image one instead. If this works properly, I hope it was worth it.

Attached Files:

10. jcnewbie Member

Kent, Washington
    Jake,

I could be wrong on this of course but it seems to me that when a fish wants to run it's best to let him run (within reason), when he stops or slows down I will start bringing him in again and so on. This particular fish was highly energetic and pulled line out harder & faster than I thought possible (for his size) - the more I would try to slow him down the harder he pulled. I probably could have put the brakes on and just "yarded" him in - I was trying a new section of Dai-Riki Flourocabon leader/tippet material rated at 14.75 lbs - but like I said, I didn't want to hurt him by dislocating his jaw or ripping out the inside of his mouth by forcing him to hand too quickly!

The truth of the matter is, helll, I have no real idea of how long it actually took to bring him in....I was so excited by this, my very first mentionable cutthroat that in "real-time" it may have only been 2 or 3 or 4 minutes, it just seemed a lot longer I 'spose....:hmmm:? He also could have been even larger than 15-16".....he was thrashing around so much and finally threw the hook about 8 feet in front of me so I never got a real good, quiet look at 'im?

At the time - and following careful rational analysis, it seemed to be the right way to handle this fishy.....;)

I'm always ready to learn more & better ways of doing things so "fry me if ya want...", I'll listen....:thumb:

Jc
  11. jcnewbie Member

Kent, Washington
    Thanks for "watching my back" on this one, Tom....it's been good fishing with ya :thumb:!

BTW, I had a couple of Leland's beach poppers in my fly box when I dug out the Blue & White fly for you to try - boy, that's a heavy sucker ain't it?....especially when it hits ya in the ear :eek: - damn wind anyhow :beathead: My "fish hook proof virgin flesh" is no longer virgin-got a good one in the hand this time....:eek:

My darn back has finally given out again so don't know when I'll get back out there. bawling:!

Jc:beer1:
  12. Tom Johnston Been around a while

Lala land!
    Yeah Ive got family weekend. Im also selling off some of my fly gear so I can pick up a new rod. I want a faster 8wt for salt water. That is pretty much all I fish any more!
  13. jcnewbie Member

Kent, Washington

I noticed your ad in the classifieds, didn't know you were in the market for another 8 wt - I've got two and had my 4 piece in the truck Sunday and would have let you try it and also have a two piece 8 wt at home.

Jc
  14. Tom Johnston Been around a while

Lala land!
    What do ya have? I know of the Redington, but not the others.
  15. jcnewbie Member

Kent, Washington
    I'll PM you with the details. I'm not really interested in selling them right now but you're welcome to try 'em next time I see you.

Jc