My first Steelhead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Tony, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Tony

Tony Left handed Gemini.

Media:
    After much planning and deliberation, checking the WDOT site for road conditions on 101 and even though it was snowing in Bremerton I decided I had to get out and fish. I had tried the Hoko last Fri. very low and clear and didn't have any success, I went to the Elwa last Sun. didn't catch anything but I did get a couple of touches but missed both, but because of that and the really crummy road conditions I decided to give the Elwa another go, left home at 8:00am and the roads were great until I got to the big hill on 104 sort of spooky all icy looking and covered with hard packed snow but I made it down and the roads were bare and wet from there on until I got to P.A. the roads were alittle messy past there but not too bad or so I thought until I turned down the hatchery road and found it was really icy, I was worried that I might not get back up it but I put off worrying about that until the time came to leave I was there to fish and I wasn't going to have anything mess with that at that point. There were alot of gear guys , way more than last week so I just hustled on down the river casting here and there heading for the spot where I had gotten the hits last week, there was one really nice gear guy who I watched catch 2 and lose a couple as I cast to one pretty nice looking run upstream from him, he said he had caught 7 others and then offered me his spot so he could see a fly caught fish but I was unable to catch one there so I thanked him and moved on down the river. There were a few guys fish near the spot I was heading for but no one actually fishing the exact spot not very fishy looking I guess except to me, the novice, I cast a glow bug upstream and as it drifted past me a fish grabbed it, I started getting really happy but it wasn't really fighting much, as it turned out it was a 15" rainbow not a steelhead but I wasn't skunked and that was good. Once again I cast upstream and as the fly was just passing me I had another take, I couldn't believe my luck,this was a steelhead at least I think so 20" and bright with a clipped fin success! I did the same thing again cast upstream and as the fly was passing me another fish grabbed the fly and took off, this one was around 22" now I was starting to feel blessed, I had it in my mind that I might go along time before I had learned enough to even catch one and here 3rd time out I had caught 2 if there haddn't been so many people around I would have been shouting with glee, well after a few more casts to the same place and no action I moved on down further fishing other places without getting even a bump I decided to leave, but on the way I thougt I would give that sweet spot another cast or two as it was between me and my truck, so I did and guess what, I cast upsteam and as my fly was passing in front of me yes a 26" hatchery hen slammed my fly and took off down river not a huge fight but she tried, I bonked this one so I could show my wife and have something tasty to go with the memory of this day and the first steelhead and even though I was using a glow bug and the fish were just hatchery fish its something to remember. Oh and most of the road had cleared so I was able to drive right out with only a little slippage at the top.
    tony

2. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    Sounds like an amazing day. Its not many times that you get 3 steelhead the first time you catch one.

Peace,
    Andy

3. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Congrads -
    A day you will long remember!!

Tight lines
    S malma

4. cmtundra

cmtundra New Member

Media:
    Way to go. Looks like I should follow you around.

5. hedburner

hedburner Member

Media:
    Mount Vernon, we're the Sketch in the heart of Ska
    Good report! I hooked and lost my first fly caught steelhead last week. Went out yesterday fished for hours and not a bite. Could have brought home a wicker couch that floated off of someones front yard in the flood last month, but decided it looked kinda cool sitting on the gravel facing the river. :cool:

6. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    Man! that was a good day. I'll bet you give that same spot another try soon.
    I didn't get out all weekend, so thanks for sharing your day with us, and congratulations!

LB