My first steelhead!

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by deerfield, Aug 13, 2002.

1. deerfield New Member

seattle, wa, usa.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hooked and landed my first steelhead last night on the Stilly. What a rush! It was a nice hatchery fish in th 7-8lb range, I would guess. It took a #6 Signal Light in a 5' deep tail out at about 7:30pm.

I'm a trout fisherman born and bred in the Northeast, transplanted via employment, trying to learn the complexities of Northwest flyfishing. Very satisfying to finally succeed. I think I may be hooked!

Cheers,

JH
  2. superflie New Member

Congratulations! Nice feeling, huh? :THUMBSUP
  3. deerfield New Member

seattle, wa, usa.
    Thanks bro. Yes, I was high as a kite. Still am a bit. :LOVEIT
  4. fly15 New Member

Way to go, no better feeling than catching that first steelhead. There a pretty fish aren't they. :THUMBSUP

fly15
  5. cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Arlington
    Ratings: +332 / 0
    Way to go. Care to say approximately what part of the river you were fishing?
  6. guest Guest

(...envy...jealousy...rage...humility.) :BLUSH

Nice going! :THUMBSUP

stumpfisher (oops)
  7. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    Ratings: +302 / 0
    Who's the man? deerfield.

Who?

A guy that just caught his first steelhead!

Oh, no kid'n, he is the man!

Told ya.
  8. deerfield New Member

seattle, wa, usa.
    You bet: From the large parking area on rt 530 that's about a mile upstream from C Post Road, I walked about a quarter mile upstream.
  9. deerfield New Member

seattle, wa, usa.
    Yessiree. I can't imagine how purty a wild fish must look... :EEK
  10. cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Arlington
    The place you parked was Hazel. Sounds like you may have walked up to the slide? Anyway, I was just curious if it was high or low on the river. The water's getting pretty skinny up there. Nice job.
  11. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,725 / 0
    I might be old---but I'm good.

It's been a few years since I've been up there,but is the big hole on the corner still there.

Jim
  12. deerfield New Member

seattle, wa, usa.
    There's a deep hole immediately below the parking area with Kings in it, if that's the one you mean.
  13. deerfield New Member

seattle, wa, usa.
    Yes, the shallow water made the fight extra cool (for me). Can you describe the slide you are speaking of? I remember two huge log jams (they were on the right walking up and well above the water line) and I think I was just above the second one, in a nice little tail out.
  14. deerfield New Member

seattle, wa, usa.
    Dudes: Thanks for all the responses. It's helped keep my buzz on!
  15. cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Arlington
    You would have been at the slide if you walked another few hundred yards up from the log jams. The water at the slide is fairly slow and deep with some boulders. There is a way to park up the road from Hazel and walk to the slide but I haven't gone that route. I haven't fished the slide since last summer but I know a few have been caught there this year. I'm up in that vicinity a lot.
  16. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,725 / 0
    I might be old---but I'm good.

Not that one. Looking up stream from the parking lot. It used to be up around the corner. About a 10 minute walk with waders on. I don't walk to fast any more.

Jim S. :WINK
  17. Chris V New Member

Monroe, Wa, USA.
    Great job! The first one always seems to be the hardest. Not to say the next will be easier, it will just be easier to be patient. Patients and persistance always pays it's rewards. :THUMBSUP