My first Steelhead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by wboles3, Sep 4, 2006.

1. wboles3

wboles3 Member

I finally hooked and landed my first steelhead ever. I caught this yesterday evening before dark on the Snoqualmie. I was fishing a single hand rod, nymphing a stone fly without an indictor because it( the indicator ) fell off a few casts earlier. The fish measured 32" and 10 lbs. Sorry, I did not have a camera at the river, therefore the kitchen photo. I was quite excited about last nights catch and headed out to the Sky this morning, the gods were with me I guess, because I hook and landed a 24" steelhead on the spey swinging a skykomish sunrise.

Bill

Attached Files:

2. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

wboles-
    Congrats!

However be aware that you may also have caught a life time disease.

Tight lines
    Curt

3. wboles3

wboles3 Member

Thanks Curt, I actually already have the disease. I have been trying for 3 years, winter and summer, to catch a steelhead.

Bill

4. fish-on

fish-on Waters haunt me....

And you probably thought that catching one would be the cure..... :)

Congratulations!!

Tight lines,

John

5. TWD

TWD Travis

Nice fish, congrats on the last two days and keep the string alive!

6. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Right on man!... dues have been paid, now you can enjoy without stressing for a fish.:thumb: Confidence is half the equation when steelheading, as you found out today.

7. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Every now and then great Karma shows up and steelhead show up with it. Goes to show you persistance pays off. Congrats on the fishies!

8. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Nice work Bill, they'll probably come a lot easier now.

9. wboles3

wboles3 Member

Thanks all for the compliments. Quite frankly I was starting to get a little discouraged. Actually, I should thank Zen and you Steelie Mike for your most informative thread on nymphing. Ironically enough, I read your post just 3 hours prior to catching the first. Today, I decided to carry two rods. The single handed rigged for nymphing and the spey for swinging.

Bill

10. Sinktip

Sinktip Monty

Way to go!:thumb: The sickness will only get worse from here.bawling:

11. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Didn't you know that its bad luck to keep your first Steelhead on the fly?

Jk, nice fish...

:beer2:

12. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Bill I always have a single and a double with me. You never know what kind of water you will find downstream. Zen is now starting to get into the swing of thisngs with the spey rod as well. Congrats again!

13. Bun

Bun Reel Pure

Great work bill! :thumb:

14. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

15. SMiller435

SMiller435 New Member

Congrats, Would have been nice to release them though bawling: - You must have been really hungry.

Regards,

S Miller

16. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

How come you guys don't nymph with your spey? For me nymphing is far more exhausting than swinging- and the spey works very well.

17. Chris Burley

Chris Burley Guest

Nice Bill. Well worth the wait I'm sure.

C&R is a worthy practice, but life is too short to not eat thine first lovely steel. ;)

18. Anil

Anil Active Member

Nice work. I wouldn't loose any sleep over killing a hatchery Steelhead.

19. wboles3

wboles3 Member

Anil, thanks. No sleep lost. A full stomach will do that, I must have been hungry.

I was going to respond to the comments referring to C&R. However, I decided not to. Those that know me, know my fishing ethics already.

Sure would be nice if the prerequisite for said comments also included a scanned copy of their catch record card.

20. Randyon

Randyon New Member

I've been trying (and trying, and trying) for the Steelhead for quite awhile, and my rod has yet to convince one. so my hat is off to you, and I'm feeling encouraged to make a run soon.:) Thanks for share! congrats on the fish! and I'll probably eat my first as well. :)

OUt!