My first steelhead!!!

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by gotchasr, Sep 30, 2003.

1. gotchasr Member

Kirkland, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I spent the weekend on the lower Deschutes, and finally caught my first steelhead on a fly. A bright 10 lb. native hen. I'm still in awe. Just had to share with someone.
  2. MacRowdy Idaho Resident Craftsman/Artisan

Ashton, Idaho
    mmmmmmm good job!
  3. pwoens Active Member

Spokane, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Congrats!!!! Its such an amazing rush isnt it.....10lb native had to of kicked your butt??? Any pics....you can send offline if you dont want to get bashed for snapping a pic of your first steelhead...LOL

~Patrick ><>
  4. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Definitely a nice job!! 1st steelhead and a native to boot! Pictures would be nice, but either way let us know how you did it.

Hopefully I'll get my first one sometime this year!
    Bill
  5. Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Port Orchard, Washington, USA.
    RiverFishing

Good for you! I'm still in the place of having to imagine how that would feel - one of these days...LOL.

Hey, I'm happy for you - thanks for sharing.

Mike :thumb
  6. worldanglr Member

Duvall, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +7 / 0
  7. Luv2flyfish Another Flyfisherman

Western WA, US.
    CONGRATS! Lets see some pics! And please no one start in on the guy for taking pics of his first steelhead!

Beware - IT ONLY GETS WORSE! You would think that catching your first will make some of the craziness go away - it only gets worse. You'll be content for about the next 2 days.....then - you will be just as crazy as before. Steelheading is such a kick in the ass!

Right on!
  8. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Pics would be great dude! But if its laying on sand,rock,grass or in a nylon net forget it, you will be flamed by the bleeding hearts.
    Congratulations and now YOU have been hooked by the Steelhead addiction that there is no cure for.
    NOTHING in freshwater compares to the adrenaline that Steelhead have to offer.

Peter ><>

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men" Matthew 4:19
  9. gotchasr Member

Kirkland, WA, USA.
    Thanks guys! Photos to come, but I'm not sure how they will turn out. It was almost dark, and I'm not sure the flash worked. If they don't turn out, I guess I'll have to keep going until I catch another. :p
  10. BOBLAWLESS New Member

Port Ludlow, WA, USA.
    Hhhmmmmm. A nice bright, wild steelhead hen (I've always thought that hens fight harder and are more difficult to land than bucks). Hhhmmm, a nice bright......
    Hhhmmm. Take me there; someone, please.
    Bob the Gimme Lots of Hens sort of Guy.
    P.S. You will never forget that fish for as long as you live.
  11. East Fork Active Member

Vancouver, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    It is a gift to be in awe of steelhead. May you always have it!
  12. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +689 / 5
    Congrats. Great way to start out a long obsession. Only takes that first one to doom you. But man, it's a fun ride.
  13. Nino New Member

Kirkland, Washington, USA.
    Congrats!!! I've been hooked since I caught my first when I was 16 on drift gear. Since then...I've only hooked one on the Grand Ronde on the fly. Lost it, but I'll never give up. This has got to be worse than crack!!!
  14. pwoens Active Member

way worse!!!
    ~Patrick ><>
  15. Stephen Rice Senior Member

Wasilla, Alaska
    Uh Oh we have a new Steelhead Zombie in the crowd. Must have more Steelhead.....more Steelhead. I will never forget my first one, now it's all I crave, the next one and the one after that. Just wait You will be standing in a Frigid Winter River up to your neck with freezing Drizzling rain running your back thinking to yourself .. I know he is in that bank, riffle ... where ever just one more swing outta get him! just as the sun goes over the horizon and your about a mile up from where you need to actually get out to get to your truck. Damn that's fun !:smokin :smokin :smokin
  16. pwoens Active Member

like a turkey in the rain....dumb as a door knob when it comes to us steelheaders.

My two year old daughter explains it best....crazy insane in the membrane loco for doing what I do :rofl

~Patrick ><>
  17. Dann New Member

what kind of fly were you using....

Dann

"the worst day of fishing is better than the best day of working"
  18. Hal Eckert Member

West GLs
    Congrats everyone remembers there first one, but now you are probably hooked with the sickness like the rest of us.

BG
  19. gotchasr Member

Kirkland, WA, USA.
    Green butt skunk, and yes, I now have the sickness.