My new Batson spey

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Matthew LeBret, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Last week I just got done with my new batson IF1307-4 and just got around to taking pictures before it gets all dirty. I have not had the chance to cast it yet, with all the wind we are having down here I don't really feel like sending a hook through my ear :thumb: I wrapped it with GB Garnet with ProWrap Gun smoke for trim and all hardware used is salt ready Alps.

View attachment 48737 View attachment 48733 View attachment 48735 View attachment 48739

2. Very nice Matt.

3. Very nice.I want to learn how to do that kind of trim

4. How do you get the wraps in the middle? Thats one nice rod!

5. Did you also build the cork? and is that a rock for the handle butt?

6. Very nice! Nice job on the wraps! It all looks good!

7. Thank you guys. The cork I turned my self with light Burl, Red burl, Mocha, Dark mix, Light mix and rubberized ends. The rock I used is one that I remembered picking up and tumbling. It came with a story so it felt right giving it a home on this rod. I used Garnet for the main body wrap and it matched the blank to a T with out CP leaving the Gunsmoke with a floating look. I just cut the tag end and pulled it under the Garnet a few threads before I started the middle wrap

8. Looks like some nice work there. That grip is just about psychedelic!

Sg

9. Very nice Matt! If it fishes anything like it looks it is going to be one heck of a rod.

10. Very nice wraps, every thing is matched perfect. What brand of thread do you use?