My new Partridge and Green

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by DSFlyman, Jan 6, 2009.

1. DSFlyman Member

Santa Monica, CA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    My new baby - I may have to wait for the weather to warm up, but I think this sucker is gonna be rocking wet or nymph

Attached Files:

2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,356 / 9
    Nice looking fly.
  3. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +507 / 0
    Yep that'll catch fish. I tie mine on a tmc2487 with olive biot (smooth) and go for the golden colored tiny partridge body feathers... because it looks good to my eye. Bottom line is softhackles are awesome esp. if ya fish em right.
  4. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +434 / 0
    Jim,
    This might interest you. I had read about this technique but didn't try it for a long time until after watching a guy do it at the Fly Tying Expo in Eugene. It allows you to use feathers that would otherwise be too large; a problem I often have with partridge.

Attached Files:

5. riseform Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +281 / 0
    You just never know where or when you'll find a pearl on this board. Thanks Preston, that's great.
  6. Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    WOW! Never even thought of that. Thanks!!! :thumb: I have a beautifull picked over skin that is now useable again.
  7. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Wow, took me a bit to get back to this thread apparently, but so glad I did! That's a great trick Preston! Yep... looks like I won't need any new partridge skins for a good long while. And, oh the great golden browns I'll get to use now! The other thing that occured to me is that the tapered nymph body bulk is an automatic. Thanks very much for the post!
    :beer2:
  8. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,356 / 9
    Preston, that is a very nice technique, thanks for posting it here. I presume that you are also to get thanks for the many patterns I'm copying out of a book or two that you've collaborated on with Les? I'm enjoying the patterns and trying to make a reasonable replica for my own use.
  9. Preston Active Member

Thanks Mumbles but the few fly patterns I've contributed to Les' books represent only a few of the enormous number of cutthroat and salmon flies that anglers from California to Alaska sent Les for inclusion in his books. The real kudos should go to Les for the incredibly time-consuming task of organizing all of that material and presenting it in a clear and intelligible format.
  10. Lonewolve New Member

east greenville pennsylvania
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    where the heck is the picture of the darn fly. i see your words but no pic?
  11. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    You speaking of the MS Word document attached? Worked fine for me, but had to give the document a few seconds each time I scrolled so it could render the images...
  12. DSFlyman Member

Santa Monica, CA
    Preston,

I have a loose bag of partridge that I've been pulling from for my soft hackles and I just figured 90% was unusable. Great tip TY TY TY.

you rock!
  13. Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Port Orchard, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Absolutely ingenious. Thanks, Preston. :thumb:
  14. Preston Active Member

Lonewolve,
    Were you ever able to open the file? If you weren't, pm me and give me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.
  15. TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

Bellevue, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Great tip, Preston.

For reposting the doc, it's easy to convert to an HTML file in Word. That'll help the .doc impaired.

Another option, depending on the version of your OS and Word, is to grab MS's "Microsoft Office Add-in: Microsoft Save as PDF" ... Google it and download it from microsoft.com.

If none of the above appeal or work for you, I'd be happy to mail you the PDF. Just PM me.
  16. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    ShadKing, just do a reply and post the PDF man... I'm running word 2k3 and about to hang it up for the night so I'm not down for downloading installing etc (if the add-in is even compatible with 2003...) :) But if you got it post it man. Cheers.
  17. colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

gig harbor, washington
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    preston great link, i love ring neck pheasant feathers but some of them are too long so i only used them on big patterns. now i can tie any size with them:D
  18. Norm Frechette Active Member

Norwich, CT
    Ratings: +77 / 0
    uummm whats new about it??

dubbed body, dubbed thorax, partridge hackle. nothing new there :confused:
  19. DSFlyman Member

Santa Monica, CA
    I never tied one B4 - so it's new for me. I take it to bed with me. Me likee
  20. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    That's what counts. I've had patterns evolve from one known pattern to something I'm sure was my own pattern and over time into some other known pattern... it's part of the fun.