My new Saltwater Rod - I love this thing!!!

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Alexander, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    So I built myself a nice 9ft 5wt Batson RX 7 and took it out for a ride. All I had was my Rio Outbound Short Intermediate 6wt line. Not a problem, this rod casts the line with ease and loads deep it's rated as a moderate/fast, (gee, I can't wait to build an RX8 6 or 7wt or BOTH!) :D A Rio OB in a 5wt would probably be perfect for this 5wt rod, what a sweet rod! :D :D

In short, I've found a new hobby and am so over $800 rods! Hell, I'm over any spendy name brand rods! This rod feels so nice to cast and I'm no stranger to top of the line Orvis, Sage and Scott rods, but I can tell you this, for the money I'm so over those, I'm not comparing them I'm just saying that I don't see the point :) Kind of like getting a Hatch reel for Trout that will never exceed 24", overkill.

Anyhow, here some pics of my new 5wt baby! :D Did I say it casts nice! Love the action! :) Don't let rod building intimidate you try it! :) Completely built around saltwater use.

[​IMG]

I changed the thread, the grip is the same

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had some fun with some wrapping techniques
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mike Munro

Mike Munro Member

Nice work, I like the little cork detail! I've often thought about taking a crack at rod building, but there's that whole time thing...

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  3. jwg

jwg Active Member

Nice color choices and wraps .

I was thinking of building on that blank for a Stillwater rod for indicator fishing but wasn't sure if the action would be moderate enough for lobbing open loops with indicator rigs.

Jay

4. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    I think it will lob just fine! ;). I need to get back into indi fishing! Ever since I moved back to the PNW I've been hitting the salt more than anything, I fished Cady lake once but it was with my son when he was 6. I did show him the indicator way though. :D. He caught a lunker just like a young Jedi apprentice should! :D

5. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Very nice. +1 on the two-tone cork... looks great. Over half of my rods are my builds. I swear they cast and fish better than their store bought contenders ;).

6. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    That turned out great.

I am shopping for a 5wt saltwater rod and the only choices appear to be over $700. Scott and Sage. That is not what I want to spend.

So i looked at the Utmost website today and thought I might have them build me one, pretty much what you have pictured above. Thanks for sharing.

Is this the blank you recommended from Batson for searun cutthroat? I have not read about their different blanks yet. Also considering a TFO custom build.

Any other suggestions on 5wt saltwater rods, factory or custom build?

7. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Nice job Alexander! We can tell you're really getting into it! Hey Jeff, build it yourself! I can help....Steve

Jeff Dodd and Alexander like this.
  8. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:

Jeff I'll build you one at cost. No profit for me unless you feel like donating just more experience for me. See my last rod I built for my wife in the Rodbuilding forum on this site.

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com...ads/i-built-my-wife-a-birthday-present.96000/

6wts are generally recommended for SRC, however, I like my 5wt Batson RX 7 just fine. You can go faster action and get an RX8 from Utmost. If you want to take me up on my offer hit me up on PM and we can figure it out. :)

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  9. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    Thank you Alexander, generous offer. I will do some research on blanks and components and get back to you with a PM.

Jeff

10. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    You are welcome, here's what I did. I called Utmost and asked to speak to Carol, tell her what you are looking for and she'll help you piece it together on the phone... they have GREAT customer service! They will have most PacBay and Batson stuff and both are located in Squim where Utmost is located as well.

Say you like the cork/composite grip and you want an aluminum winding check as opposed to a rubber one, but you don't know the size, she will have your rod blank right there, she'll assemble the butt cap, reel seat and cork grip and then slide a bunch of winding check over the blank to see which one fits best (size wise) and voila, no guessing and getting the wrong part. When it's all said and done you can rest assured that all parts fit they way they are supposed to.

They don't try to up-sell you anything, it's pretty much straight forward. I just look in the online PacBay and Batson catalogue and ask if they have the part I want, they check to see if it fits right or give you other options in a similar vein.

Another example: A co-worker wanted me to re-do his rod handle and real seat, so I did the research and took some measurements and then emailed Carol and told her what I needed to do and the size I was looking for. She pieced the parts together for me, laid it next to a tape measure and took a picture and sent it to me. I liked what I saw and ordered it. I called in with payment info and got additional tips on some challenges I was facing doing this repair. This kind of customer service is UNHEARD of in my experience. They love fishing, they love rod building and you can tell they are completely into what they do and the customer experience.

Yes and they don't pay me, lol, they are just that great to deal with, so how can I keep quiet about them. ;) With Utmost you'll be in good hands.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  11. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

Media:
    Sweet looking rod!

Alexander likes this.
  12. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I just purchased (on sale) a TFO, Jim Teeny model, 9 ft., 5 wt. All of the Jim Teeny rods come with fighting butts from 4 wt. to 12 wt. They are pretty nice for lower end rods. The blank is good; med fast and has decent workmanship. The components are TFO standard but it comes with a lifetime warranty. I paired it with an Outbound floater and a Teeny 5-6-7 clear tip imtermediate. It casts pretty nice. I'll be testing it out on the real thing in a few days but at $199 it's pretty hard to beat. I got mine for $80 on a Sportsman's closeout but they are available directly from Teeny or at Sportsman's. I have no idea why it was on sale but I didn't argue.

Jeff Dodd and Alexander like this.