My problem with Chironmid/ the problem with Chironmids

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by South Sound, May 6, 2008.

1. I know some people are going to answer this question that it is not boring catching fish, but I will ask the question anyway. HOW DO YOU KEEP FROM GETTING BORED. WHEN YOU ARE CHIRONOMID FISHING.... I mean no disrespect by any means, I just have a very hard time sitting and staring at an indicator. I think this is one of the many reasons I fly fish rather than sit and stare at a bobber or watch my line when the fish takes the power bait off the bottom and starts to swim away. Both of which I have done as a child, but now I just have a hard time. I would love to fish Chironmids, I just need help with the best way to go about it and not want to stab myself in the eye of out of being bored.
    Please help.

2. Try using slow retrieves with your bobber setup. Strip it in a foot or less every 20 seconds or so. Experment until you get results. Faster or slower - long pause, short, etc. Also try heavier weighted flies or non-weighted flies and see if one version works better that day (weighted flies will sink faster on the pause, where the non weighted will slowly descend - obvious I guess, but you are looking for the action that will trigger more strikes).

Or, get rid of the bobber and fish a full floater and a long leader. Try 1 to 3 flies with the top fly being an emerger and the bottom a bead head blood worm or other small chironomid you think will work. Middle fly should just be someting different (different color, size) than the other 2 (3 flies only allowed in normal regulation lakes - check to be sure you can use 3. Other lakes that are selective or FF only may only allow 2 or sometimes 1).
    Cast that out and count down until it may be near bottom. Do a slow retreive with pauses again. Don't let any slack form, keep the line tight and the rod tip touching the water. If floating in a boat\tube - try just wind drifting assuming there is only a light breeze. If stronger breeze and\or 20+ foot water, use a sinking tip or sinking line.

Or, anchor with that sinking line in 20+ feet of water and just let the fly hang straight down inches off the bottom. You can kinda jig it a few times, then slowly strip it back up with pauses on the way. Again, use anywhere from 1 to 3 flies as allowed by regs.

3. This might be an amatuer question (but then again, I am an amatuer), what knots do you use to tie several flies together? Some of the chironomids are so small, I can't see how to do it. Any tips on this??

4. I just use an improved clinch and tie to the bend in the hook of the fly above - about 1 foot to 2 feet between.

Also, I tend to use 4 or 6 lb maximua UG for the leader to the first fly. Then I use 4 to 6lb seaguar fluorocarbon for the dropper flies.

5. This is what I do when I fish Chironomids.

:beer1::beer1::beer1:
    :beer2::beer2::beer2:

It's also good to have a buddy along to chat with and share a beer or two. Think of it this way, when you chiro fish, you get the unique opportunity to just relax. Minimal casting and stripping. You're just relaxing outside engulfed in serene wilderness with a good buddy, sun shining down and beer in hand. Now if that's not a good time, I don't know what is.

6. Only problem with that is that you have about 2 seconds tops to set the hook when the bobber goes down or you miss it. In fact, I find that the best way to get a bite is to pretend I'm not paying attention. Seems if I stare at it, nothing happens. If I look around and enjoy the scenery, the bobber is gone when I look back and I'm too late.

So if I want to be able to enjoy the scenery, I find that losing the bobber and fishing with the rod tip to the water and no slack, slowly stripping back works best. Then I can look where ever I like and when I get a hit, I feel it and respond very quickly with a positive hook set (just a quick and gentle lift really - not a bill dance slap yourself in the a$$ hook set).

7. Forget about it, S Sound. You sound too wound up for chironomid fishing.:rofl: You need to be either a backcountry headwater raider, always on the go, fishing fast water for always hungry opportunistic resident native trout, using big bushy dries, never two casts to the same place; or else just keep chasing after those elusive searuns.:clown:

Don't ask me how I know this. :D

8. Chad, you didn't know it, but we're in complete agreement here. You say the best way to get a bite is to pretend you're not paying attention. For me, it's when I take that sip of beer that the fish usually strike! Just make sure while you're kickin' back the rest of that beer that you have the rod in your non-beer hand! :thumb:

9. iagree
    It's funny how you can be fishing for hours without a strike and when you decide to open a beer or toss in a grizzly mint the fishing picks up.

10. Chad,
    What is the longest leader that you would go with this method. I know some guys use 15-18 ft leaders. Suggestions?

Jim,
    As far as Jim's the too high strung comment. That sounds about right. Searuns are my favorite fish because of their strength, being native, little pressure from anglers, and they do smack the crap out of the fly and they do not take no for an answer to a certain degree. That being said, I would like to get into some of the large fish that key in on chironmids and are more selective after being educated numerous times on leach patterns.

11. Exactly! Best kind of fishing right there. :thumb:
    -Ethan

12. S. Sound. Yeh, me too. I haven't seriously fished chironomids. I think I need to go where someone else is fishing them successfully, so that I'll know when I get skunked that its just me fishing wrong, as opposed to the chance that the fish aren't feeding on them at the time. I've read all the recent posts here about fishing them, as well as mag articles and some books, but I want to know that they're working at the time I try them.

I think I'll try the bobberless technique chadk described....I hate bobbers, and I like to look around and enjoy the scenery.

13. South Sound ...I think there are two of you now :confused:

Leaders can range from 9' to 22' or more I suppose. I think 15' is a good starting point and you can shorten or add from there. I don't chironmid all that much but I have and when I have I used a 12' on some lakes or areas of a lake and up to about 18' on others.

14. If you're getting bored it's either:

A. You aren't fishing the right depth
    B. The fish aren't feeding on chironos
    C. You aren't using the right bugs
    or D. all the above

Of course, you could apply this to nymph fishing too...

15. S sound, take your forcepts and clip them on your fly, drop it down till it touches bottom(not to hard, I've lost forcepts this way), then place your indicator so your fly is bout a foot of the bottom. If your have somethin' agin' bobbers, just cast and retrieve(slowly). They are about 40% of a trouts diet in lakes, so you should learn to use them!

16. iagree What Chad said; good stuff.

17. Almost anyplace in eastern Washington you can get Rush on the radio. Get one of those little radio with ear buds.

It is really a bitch though when the chronmid hatch happens after his program.

18. Don't be afraid to hang your chironies shallow to mid-depth range below the indicator sometimes. A lot of my fish through the years have been in the upper water column, especially when the chironomids are emerging and you see the tell tail dimples of surface feeding. To break up the bordom, definitely strip and pause the chironies more aggressively, you tend to get a lot more bites than letting the chironies hang with no movement for an extended period of time. I tend to fish a bead head Chromie as the lower fly and an unweighted frostbite pattern a 1' to 1 1/2' above the Chromie. The Chromie tends to out fish the frostbite 3 to 1. Learn how to tie Philip Rowley's Chromie, it is my favorite chironomid pattern.

19. Ultimately, in lakes there is no avoiding the inevitability of learning how to properly fish Chironomids. I am resigned to my fate. :eek:

20. 509 That stuff ain't allowed in my local waters....sometimes you should try out your other hemisphere...I mean, its called the "right" side of the brain, so Im sure you'd like it. :clown: I like sitting on that side mo bettah when I'm fishing, anyway. Sort of like a vacation from the insanity.:beer1: