My problem with Chironmid/ the problem with Chironmids

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by South Sound, May 6, 2008.

1. I used to get bored with chironomid fishing. Here are a few things I learned from better anglers than me.

1) 10 minute rule - if you don't get a take in 10 minutes, change something. If you are confident in your pattern, change depth first, then move.

2) Always fish a pair (or more) of flies to figure out what they want. If you are inclined, carry a throat pump and see what has been recently consumed. Don't underestimate stupid-simple blood worm patterns.

3) A lot of nymphs and leeches fish well under a bobber. Sometimes a micro leech or callibaetis nymph will pick up just as many fish as a midge.

Like Jim said, if you fish lakes, learn to love the midge.

2. Here's something you might try dangling below your chironomid.
    Clicky Clicky

3. iagree

I've had some great luck with this concept (balanced nymph) tied up as a damsel pattern. Chirono fishing is all about confidence as well. I couldn't stick to it until one day when I had great luck. My confidence in the technique went up greatly and I can now do it for hours searching for fish because I know it works. I've had some great days with chironos, way outfishing others casting buggers & nymphs at the banks since the fish were keyed on them.

-Marc

4. I tie some of my steelhead wet fly patterns with the same technique, but with bead head resting below hook eye, so the hook turns upright to be more snag free instead of using lead eyes. I can turn the fly hook upright using less weight with this technique. I also think your hook up ratio is better with upright hooks compared to downturned hooks. It is also better for the fish because you tend to hook them in the upper lip more often,which is better for releasing the fish unharmed.I also tie some of my stillwater and saltwater steamers with the same technique.

5. Understand "that stuff" ain't allowed in my local water....your west of the crest. But you guys have that "common sense" guy? Or at least what passes for common sense on that side.

I didn't say I had a radio when I fish....just said that if you have problems concentrating and staying focused when fishing chironmids just listen to Rush. If you like him you will stay awake agreeing and nodding. If you don't like him you will stay awake being madder than hell.

And if your Hillary Clinton you are wondering how he became your campaign manager!!!

6. 509, I can think of better ways to stay awake than to listen to that fatass asinine cokehead. i heard of a herd of operashun kaos sheep doing their master's bidding, poor fools...pathetic stuff, even then the "powerhungry lying warmongering beotch" only won by a thin "jackass margin."
    Myself...I never, ever, no no no no never!!!! listen to talk radio. I have a life. My TV blew up a while back, and I'm not replacing it. Was an antennna feed,anyway...out in the garage...only got FOX 13...the "fluffmiester channel." Damn I'm gonna miss "House" and those bimbos on "2 1/2 Men." I could wind up a power tool and drown out the commercials.:clown::beer1: Did appreciate the "double doppler" though. Hey man... stay programmed!:thumb:

7. I thought the same thing until someone taught me how to do it correctly. You won't catch fish if you don't have the right type of Chrony. I you catch one pump the stomach and put on what you see. It will be non stop. I just got back from a trip where it was non stop action. Every cast was a hit, lost fish or a loanded fish. I landed 25 fish on Monday and lost 10 and had at least 40 takes in a bout 4 1/2 hours. Once you figure it out it is unbelievable. Trust me, find someone who knows how to Chrony fish.

Adam

8. I might give it a serious try on Friday. Borrowed a little gem of a book by Jack Shaw,"Fly Fish the Trout Lakes," in which he demonstrates how to trim down some wet flies to look like chironomids.
    I'm going to tie some up, of course, but I don't have all the named shizz required in some of the recipies, but I can fake it for now with substitutions if I have to.

I'll have to build up some long leaders, too, I suppose.

Went through all my back issues of Fly Fishing and Tying Journal and read all the relevant articles by Brian Chan and Skip Morris, and a good one by Carol Morris. Those, plus the info generously shared here should get me started.:thumb:

9. The fist time I had a fly rod in my hand it had a 14 foot leader and two chronnies, 5 minutes
    later I landed my first fish on a fly rod, I was hooked. Since then I have I tried other methods on still water, but chironomids almost always seem to outfish those methods, most
    nites I tie up 10-15, I litterally have hundreds upon hundreds of effective chironomids in my box. I had the luxury of learning how to fish them from a stillwater expert(he is on this board
    but I will not name him)

Since moving to Montana, there is a small pond I fish by my house, loaded with worm and bait fisherman, I outfish them almost every time, now and then someone will come up and
    ask what I am using , when I show it to them they just look at me and walk away..confused

10. It is the knot you tie on there too. YOu can tie a regular knot on the hook.

11. Invest in a fish pump. They work great.

12. South Sound

I understand your predicament. You should know that not all chironomid fishing is done in deep water with long leaders. A few days ago there was a fresh water thread that started with a film of live chironomids. (You really need to look up that thread.) The thread evolved into several members showing flies they tied to immitate what was shown in the film. The point is that those flies were floating flies.

When they begin to hatch and rise to the surface they have a hard time breaking through the tension of the water surface, that takes a while and they are vulnerable to the trout. Then they sit on top of the spent shell, dry their wings, and fly off. When the hatch is on you can see the trout porposing and hear them slurping. It will not look like a round rise ring. This will happen most often in shallow water. When wading in Nunally I have had fish feeding in front of me and behind me. So, a floating line with ten feet of greased leader is the set-up. Dry fly fishing at it's best. It is a little slower than fishing dry in a river, but it can be pretty fast. That is the sine qua non of chironomid fishing, as they say over in Smyrna.

Good luck.

sb

13. Yeh, also check your anchor knots, or you might not be able to try chironomid fishing!bawling:

14. I also get bored with that type of fishing. However, very slowly retrieving the line will sometimes increase the take and relieve the boredom. But bobber (indicator) fishing is my last choice when fly fishing, though I have caught my share fishing with a chironomids.

Keith

15. I searched through a bunch of old chironomid threads and didn't find anything about this question; Has anyone using a sinking line found it critical the depth that your retrieve changes from horizontal to vertical?

Last weekend I was fishing buzzers and found that if I let my flies an line sink too long I would not get a touch on the vertical retrieve. I can understand not getting action if I am above. But it seemed the fish wanted to see the flies change from a horizontal retrieve to a vertical retrieve at the proper depth.

16. A little, non clinical, brain damage helps....

Jerry

17. Are you saying I need to :beer1:?

18. It is a very Zen thing. Watch the green dot Grasshopper, do not take your eyes of the little green dot...

Like anything, you get better at it over time. I seem to have programmed my brain to respond to funny actions of the little green dot even while daydreaming. I do cut down on distractions by dropping the brim of my hat if I have missed a few takes.

Just remember, every time that bobber takes a dunk, a fish has had its lips on your fly and it happens pretty often. That is the good news, converting it to fish to hand is not all that easy. Practice, practice, practice Grasshopper.

I sometimes think the fish team up. One is named Vern, the other Frank. Frank watches you and Vern bites the fly. "Now, Vern, now. He is scratching his nose."

Jerry

19. Jerry,
    I've heard Vern and Frank laughing many a time!!