My version of the Miyawaki Beach Popper

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Livetofish_, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Livetofish_ New Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Here it is, how do you think it will work. I still have to cut off the front hook, but I don't know if I should. Also her is the actual Miyawaki Beach Popper
    by Leland Miyawaki just for comparison.

Attached Files:

2. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +882 / 1
    You should cut the front hook off for a couple reasons. 1.) Most regs call for single hook barbless and there is a mandatory release of searun cutthroat. 2.) the popper head renders the gape of the forward useless. It will never hook any fish as it is.

Are you sure one of the pictured flies is one of mine? I have never left the forward hook intact.

Nice job though. How's it look wet?

Leland.
  3. Livetofish_ New Member

Your City ,State
    I am going to cut the front hook. I don't think that it was your fly, just one that some one tied up. I got messed up on that, sorry. Thanks for the advise, I will get it wet very soon and tell ya how it works.
  4. zorbajim New Member

Redmond, Wa
    How did you make the popper head? If you buy them they want $.50 each for them.
  5. Les Johnson Les Johnson

.Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Do you find that your version works better in some way than the original Miyawaki Popper? My own experience, right up to last week on Vancouver Island is that the original has been pretty well thought out and continues to be one of my top two or three saltwater cutthroat patterns. Since I do accumilate information on flies for my personal research (and for fly chapters in my books) I'd be interested in learning about the rationale behind your version. If you prefer, you can send me a PM.
    Cheers,
    Les Johnson