My Weekend hunts

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by D3Smartie, Nov 5, 2007.

1. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    Friday- I went to wenatchee to chase some chukars after taking the 4:55 ferry from bainbridge. Got to my spot at 7:45 and had my limit of chukars at 8:30. Not lots of birds, but i doubled 3 times for my 6 bird limit:thumb:
    After chukars i headed down to the Yakima valley to meet up with my friend and we went scouting for ducks for the next morning. Found quite a few birds for the next day.
    Sat- Set up on a small slough and had quite a few ducks ontop of us at first light. We were picking up the decoys with a limit of 10 mallards, 2 widgeon, 1 teal and a drake wood duck as the sun rose. A nice quick hunt so we could get out of there and let the birds hopefully come back for the next morning;s hunt. Chased some quail and pheasants the rest of the morning before we had to get back to the house and watch some football. quail numbers sure seem down compared to the past 2 years.
    Sunday found us back out at the same slough. It is a tiny little puddle of water, maybe 25x50 yards or so. 5 minutes before shooting we landed a flock of 8 geese in the decoys, waited for my phone to go off at 6:10, jumped the flock, killing 6 of them on the rise, before we called the other 2 back and collected them too.:eek: sunday wasnt as good as saturday but the mallards sure seemed to work better the later it got in the morning and we were able to work in singles and pairs to get to 14.
    [​IMG]
    A nice weekend of waterfowl to go along with my limit of chukars. :) Especially when our hopes for ducks and geese were so slim on friday morning.

2. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    There's a good bit of cul de canard in that pic. Sounds like an epic weekend.

3. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    I dream of a weekend such as yours! Do you think that the mallards are resident birds or have they started to move 'down'?

Hey, not to sound like an ass, but does that 'flyer deek' have a battery compartment? I've heard of guys getting busted for electric operated deeks regardless of batteries in them or not...

Anywho nice pic and report!

4. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    These birds acted like resident birds, or atleast birds that had been around for most of the season. call/decoy shy and very wary.
    The decoy is a "flutter-wing" from aero outdoors. That looks like a battery compartment in the pic, but it is just the access to the guts in case the rubber band or string breaks. Electric is illeagal, but a spinner like that is just fine.

5. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    I have not seen many ducks flying yet around B-ham...then again there is zero water in the area fields. I gave you the benefit of the doubt with the deek, I know there are some cool non-electric models out there...just thought I'd say something just in case. I owe a few people on this board a beer for 'schooling' me...just thought maybe I'd do the same! :thumb:

I miss goose hunting...I skipped many a class when I lived in Michigan to call in the "B-17 of waterfowl"! Nothing like getting up at 3:00 am, hit the field at 6:00, take an hour to set out 5-6 dozen deeks, sit for 15-30 minutes, and then start calling in the first light stranglers...man I miss those days!

6. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    no worries...

7. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Cool, big pile of birds to clean.
    Good shooting to limit on chucks that fast.

8. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Media:
    You are a killing machine! Great work!! It begs the question, though- what do you do with all those birds? Jerky, sausage? Extra-large freezer? I have no idea what I would do if I shot that many birds in one outing!

9. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    Well chukar is IMO the best tasting upland bird so i will either fry them up in butter/bread crumbs or roast them...
    Ducks, i roast or fry in bread crumbs with an olive oil/ worschester(sp?) marinade. Teal are great roasted.
    geese, i love on the grill.
    I also have some of the meat made into "duck sticks"... Nile Valley meats made me some 2 years ago and i think i will have to go back soon. I am almost out.