N Fork

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by hopper, Apr 29, 2002.

1. hopper New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Well, the weather was great on sunday so I went out the the north fork out on the county road past the spur 10 gate. I fished the sections above and below the first bridge that crosses the N Fork. There was some nice looking water through there, but I got skunked. I fished from 3-7. I'm wondering if there are fish through that section of the river. FYI: I used a stimulator dropping a prince then dropping a phesant, tried sinking a bugger down, tried a humpy, 16 caddis, and a couple other dries. No looks. Anyway, it was pretty out there. Any ideas. Does that road access any other parts of the river?

Thanks,

Jeb.
  2. Randy Knapp Active Member

Warm Springs, Virginia, USA.
    Water too cold! Big fish are in the deep pools. Little fish in the sub-strata.
    Randy
  3. superflie New Member

I'm not sure what North Fork you were fishing. Let me know and I'll see if I can help
  4. hopper New Member

Randy, just curious what the ideal water temp is for western wa?

Superflie, this question is in regard to the n fork of the snoqalmie.

Thanks for the responses.

-jeb.
  5. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    I've fished that area a few times a few years ago. While I did find a few, I think you need work a little farther away from the road, or better yet, drive farther up past Sunday Crk and explore. You may even get into some brook trout if you try hard enough.

I've also fished up and downstream from the bridge inside the gates (if you ever had the permit to get in, this is the bridge if you headed right/east at the guard post). Same story here - get away from the easy access points.

Speaking of Sunday Creek, while heading up to fish for brookies at Sudnay Lake, I found out that Sunday Creek fishes quite nicely for lots of little eager trout. Later, I realized the creek is closed. Check the regs before hitting those tribs!

In general, I find the Snoqualmie forks hit and miss until about mid july, when the temps are high, the flows are low, and hatches are consistent. In Aug and Sept, a bad outing for me is less than 10 fish per hour landed. While there are very few, if any, secret spots, it definately pays to find those harder to reach stretches.

Good luck!
  6. Randy Knapp Active Member

Warm Springs, Virginia, USA.
    Fish get active at 45 degrees and readily rise to a dry at 50 degrees. In either case the fish will get more active as temperatures begin to rise toward daily highs.
    Randy
  7. Chris Bailey Member

seattle, wa, USA.
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    I did the same thing with Sunday creek a couple years ago. I caught my best fish in the Snoqualmie system in Sunday creek, about a 13" rainbow. After realizing that I was in Sunday creek and not the north fork, I walked down the creek to the main river and had pretty good luck. If you are not real familiar with the area, it is easy to think that the Sunday is the north fork when you cross that bridge. It doesn't help that there is a parking spot right off the creek past the bridge. I sent a message about a year ago to WDFW recommending placement of a sign in that pull-off stating that this creek is Sunday Creek and is closed to fishing, but got no response. Maybe that is something more suited to one of the local flyfishing groups.