N. Sound report 5/18

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by dave, May 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave

dave New Member

Media:
    I fished the area around Camano island for Dollies/cutthroat on the 18th from about 6:30 AM to 10:00. I landed 2 nice fish, one 14 inches and the other was 23 inches. I hooked another but was not able to land him. The water was slightly off-color because of the Stilly but this did not seem to matter to the fish. They were very willing to eat my favorite flies.

2. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    Beautiful, just beautiful...

:cool:

3. Preston

Preston Active Member

If you'll read the regs, you'll note that all saltwater areas are closed to fishing for "Dolly Varden/bull trout". Admittedly, it's always possible to inadvertently hook one while fishing for sea-run cutthroat, but a public forum like this is hardly the place to talk about it.

4. WT

WT Member

Don't talk about it. And if you see any other flyfishers out there doing the same thing look away.
    Nice fish.
    WT

5. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Media:
    what a douche. :rolleyes:

6. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    child: "mommy, what's a douche?"

7. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Media:
    mom:"son, its a person who fishes outside the rules!"

8. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    Children Children, let's not pick on the fat kid. He can't help that his mommy dresses him funny and hasn't taught him to wash himself. Just look away and talk about him when he isn't around.

9. Dan

Dan Member

I'm glad that someone said something! This topic came up not too long ago in response to a comment about a picture of a dolly my brother-in-law sent me. Clearly, Preston's answer was the correct one. Sorry CWUGirl, but we do not agree on this one.

Cheers,

10. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Media:
    Targeting a protected species should be embarrassing to all fly fishermen. It's really unfortunate that there isn't more people speaking out against it and speaks volumes about the ethics of many fly fishermen.

Incidently catching a dolly in the salt is one thing, posting reports about your dolly fishing trip is quite another.

Really, this thread should have been pulled, IMO... It makes us all look like douches.

11. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    "We"? Who is "we"? I believe there are more folks that agree with her than don't. Attagirl, I agree with her. She just made a more spirited response than what some others might provide.

She's exactly right. If it's illegal, it's illegal. It doesn't matter whether you or others think the act is wrong or right, if it's against the law, it's against the law.

If, as Preston noted, the person inadvertently hooks up with one, so be it. Again, as Preston noted, this is hardly the place to talk about it ("it" being acknowledgment of specifically conducting an illegal act) in such a specific manner.

However, let's give the poster the benefit of the doubt and assume he didn't know specifically targeting dollies/bulls is illegal, and his posting and activity was an ignorance of the regulations and therefore, to quote Homer Simpson, a simple "DOH!!!"

12. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    If the Dollies / Bulls were caught off of Camano Island, that would likely make them either Skagit, Stilly or Snohomish system fish. Possibly the Nooksak System also.
    Why does the state protect dollies in the salt, yet let folks harvest them from some of these systems?
    I'd like to see all the Puget Sound river systems go to C & R on Dollies / Bulls in the future. With the decline of salmon and steelhead runs, they'll likely be a day in the future where these fish may be the only thing left to fish for.
    Brian

13. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Stonefish -
    The thinking about the salt closure for bull trout is based on exactly the situation you stated - the source basin of the fish being caught is unkown. Is a fish from a relatively healthy population or one of the populations that may be in trouble? Fishing for the char (yes including harvest) is allowed in the two basins that the State had felt was healthy - both basins populations number well in excess of the suggested recvovery targets.

The reality is that if those seasons on the Skagit and Snohomish were not in place at the time of the listing today any fishing on those populations would be just like the current situation in the salt - that is closed.

Tight lines
    Curt

14. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:

iagree :thumb:

15. Dan

Dan Member

Richard and CWU Girl,

My bad. I misread a post and thought that CWU Girl was agreeing with WT. Sounded so unlike her. Apologies to all.

Peace,

16. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    It sounded like an innocent fishing day, and a few happy surprises. When I am steelhead fishing in the rivers, and accidentally catch a Bull Trout, I am usually delighted by the fun, the fight, and the beautiful fish. And of course I release them right away. Just because I caught one does not mean that i went out to deliberatley catch one.

I mean; C'mon, the guy shares a happy story and you crap on him for it...

What kind of "community" has this become?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.