Name that bug

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by Grant Richie, Nov 30, 2010.

1. dfl likes this.
  2. Has the characteristics of a stonefly nymph.
    Thats my final answer.

3. Hellifino's
    Looks good enough to eat, I'll take two on toast.

4. I agree, but it just didn't look like most stonefly nymphs I see.

5. I don't see any wing pads, so I'm ruling out small winter black stonefly. If it was green in color, then a type of caddis.

6. No green. Dark brownish/black color.

7. He certainly looks lost and hungry. Cold feet too!

8. Looks like a helgramite to me.

dfl and FinLuver like this.
  9. I second that. Those things can give you a pretty good bite too.

10. Lukes got it. Bet it packs a good sized bite

11. hellagramites are the bug equivalent of a steak wrapped in bacon to trout

12. Yea, bacon wrapped steak with razor blade vice jaws! I wonder if a helgramite has ever eaten it's way out of a fish's stomach? :eek:

The adult Dobson fly look even meaner. I think if one ever landed on me, I'd need to change waders. They are about as bad as those ball sucking leaches Jesse keeps telling me about. :rofl::rofl:

edit: You know, I think the helgrammite is the single and only reason trout developed teeth. Not even fish are dumb enough to try and eat that without mutilating it first.

FinLuver likes this.
  13. I agree with Luke on the Helgramite. Helgramites have six legs on the thorax with eight small feathery appendanges on the abdomen and 2-4 claws at the rear of the abdomen.

14. I can't find any pictures of Helgramites without abdomen appendages like the one in Richie's picture. Here it is blown up.

View attachment 36623

weird.

15. Luke, I think you get the non-prize. I couldn't figure out the lack of gills on the body until I just read that they crawl out of the river in winter to pupate inside of a cocoon they build somewhere on shore.

16. It could also be a a diving beetle larvae. Those bastards bite too!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

17. The diving beetle larvae looks pretty good, but the body seems to taper the opposite direction.

18. FinLuver likes this.
  19. I noticed this too, but I DID find pictures of them with the body not tapering as drastically.