Narrows park or BUST!

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by w84ward, May 17, 2005.

1. w84ward Keep Vashon Weird.

Vashon, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I have been going to multiple locations over the past few weeks working on technique, culled from various threads here and by talking to folks "in the know" but I have been having difficulty hooking up and landing anything (clever little buggers!)

I have fished narrows park, lincoln park, Pt. robinson, and KVI beach with little success. Narrows park seems to be the hottest place right now and it's pretty close to me, so I'm going early tomorrow morning (rain or not! wind is a different story, though)

If anyone is thinking about heading out that way, and you see someone who obviously has no clue what he's doing...well, help a brother out, would ya?! :beathead:

Seriously -- after fishing beer on me :beer1:

Thanks,
    Jed.
  2. Luke Filmer Member

Dude!
    You are too funny ;)
    You probably forgot to do the cutthroat dance. You have to run up & down the beach naked three times while chanting "bite me"!
    After that clamp on your medium sink tip line, and wade out below your hips to increase your distance and cast as far out as you can, then I usually give it 5 or 8 seconds to sink then strip short, quick erratic strips. It should work...
    Look for leapers, those are usually the coho. Cast into em like you would a rainbow on a lake.
    I fish there alot & usually always hook up at least a couple fish, if not 5 or 6.
    Sometimes the cutts are 10 to 20" from shore so try walking up, the surf, and cast into it.
    Are you using 2" to 3" baitfish patterns?
  3. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Jed, I won't be down your way to join you though I would like to if I could. If for no other reason than to watch the cutthroat dance.

If I was, I would resolve that I might have to walk a long distance on the beach looking for the little buggers, and dress comfortable, bring a snack and some water and a flask of your favorite bevarage, a back pack so everything is easily carried, and fish and walk your way down south of the bridge for a couple of miles. Be sure to walk with the tide going out, otherwise passage might be tough in some sections with trees laying out into the water, course those are some of the best places to cast to when the water is up.

Point is, enjoy the day, take a hike and stretch your legs, prospect the water with your fly here and there, find a nice fishy looking inlet and spend some time there. Sooner or later you will get into them; we all get skunked at the best of beaches!
  4. Fly Guy New Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Howdy all,
    I am new. New to the area, new to fly fishing and new to this website. In fact, my user name should be new guy not fly guy. Anyhow, I've been studying and I am starting to believe that going out to a place like Narrows Park (Doc's) only makes sense when the tides are right and the weather is right. I would say, if the current and the tide changes are like they are today chances are the little buggers will be hard to find. In fact, I am testing this theory and I am staying off Doc's until the big tidal changes come back.

I would love to hear what the local old timers have to say about this.
  5. Roger Stephens Active Member

Ratings: +297 / 0
    A wise "old timer" once told me this saying: "No flow, no go!" It is usually pretty good advice. Slack tide for SRC and silvers is a no,no where I fish. I prefer to fish the moderate tide exchanges when there is not to little or to much current.

But then again, any time there is no wind on a cloudy day or at day break, it is hard to beat the beauty of the Puget Sound evironment while fishing during those times . As a bonus, the fishing frequently can be surprisingly good even if the tidal current is not optimum.
  6. TomB Active Member

seattle,wa
    Ratings: +58 / 0
    guys are right about flows being better for silvers and cutts in the salt, but nonetheless, i would go whenever you have the chance.....heck, i had my best day ever in the salt for resident fish and cutts in march with virtually no tidal flow. (part of that day was at the very place you mention).
    -Tom
  7. Les Johnson Les Johnson

.Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Keep the slack out of your line. It is key to converting strikes into hookups for searun cutthroat or coho.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson
  8. w84ward Keep Vashon Weird.

Vashon, WA
    Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it :) -- Les, I'd better go out and get a copy of your book!

I've got the baitfish patterns and intermediate sinking line and the poppers with floating line, so if I get skunked again, I may have to seriously consider the "dance" Hopefully the Tacoma Police Department will be understanding.

Looks pretty stormy this AM, but maybe I'll go check it out anyway.
  9. Fly Guy New Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    I second that. Thanks for the great advice! I've read messages on this board for a while and have come to value the advice of those experienced fly fishermen who are willing to share their knowledge.
  10. Steve Buckner Mother Nature's Son

Flyguy,
    We rose 7 fish (6 src's and 1 coho) today with the current tide series. There are fish to be had if you keep at it! As with most fishing, it pays to be persistent. You're going to have to cover the beach. We fished the "Magic" Miyawaki Beach popper, it's one hell of fly!!!
  11. ahab Rick L.

Seattle, Wa
    Hey w84ward my buddy matt and I saw you as you were leaving. We didn't catch anything either. Saw a ton of fish though. Just wanted to let you know your'e not the only one getting skunked! P.M. me sometime and maybe we could try it again. Don't forget your waders :p
  12. Steve Buckner Mother Nature's Son

Ahab,
    We saw 2 groups of 2 guys fishing today and 1 single guy off of the beach. You must have been one of the groups of two out there today.
  13. ahab Rick L.

Seattle, Wa
    Steve,
    We were out there from about one to three. We got to talk to Mr. 4ward and then hit it. Were you in a boat? The other group you saw were two gentleman fishing gear and they caught a decent sized coho from what the washington department of f&w officer who was in the parking lot told us. He was there to find out what people were catching. I tried fishing a popper but only could get about three pops before my intermediate line sunk the fly. Oh well, what a great day and how lucky we are to fish such beautiful places.
  14. Fly Guy New Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Steve,
    Thanks for the info. I'll be running up and down the beach this weekend (I hope). I keep hearing about the famous beach popper. I've seen it at the pugetsoundflyfishing.com website. Do you know if someone in the area sells these?
  15. Steve Buckner Mother Nature's Son

Flyguy,
    I do not know anyone who sells it, you might contact Leland directly. It is an easy fly to tie and effective.
  16. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +838 / 1
    Contact me by private mail.

Leland.