Narrows Report

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Anil, May 5, 2005.

1. Here's another report cut and pasted from our website:
    South Puget Sound - May 5th, 2005
    RECORDED: 64 ° FISHING: Great
    Puget Sound Fly Company is proud to offer current fishing reports for the exciting saltwater opportunities available in the South Puget Sound. These reports come from staff fishing trips, our friends and guide Tom Wolf. Please call us at (253) 839-4119 if you are new to the area or estuary fishing in general.

FISHING: If I wasn’t going out to dinner tonight for my anniversary, I’d be fishing at Narrows Park. The silvers have been consistently feeding right off of the beach. The usual flies have produced well all year (see below). One word on flies: Small. Whatever your flavor, think 1½”-3” maximum length at this time of the year. These fish are still relatively small (15"-20") and although they may aggressively attack a larger fly, you will have trouble hooking up. On top of that they (large hooks) are hard to cast and can injure fish.
    I wonder if my wife might think that a stroll along the beach would be nicer than some stuffy restaurant?

BEACHES: Brown’s Point, Narrow's Park (Doc's), Purdy etc…

FLIES: 'Shock and Awes' and Clouser Minnows in (Olive, Pink or Green), Miniceiver, Muddlers, and other assorted baitfish are always good searching patterns.

TECHNIQUES: Take a 5 weight or better rod, as the wind can tear up lighter gear. Clear lines and an erratic retrieve will catch more fish, or if you prefer a floater and a beach slider can be very fun.

Anil
    www.pugetsoundflyco.com

2. Thanks Anil,
    I appreciate a report like that. Might have to take some time to visit the Narrows this weekend. Maybe after your fly shop's "casting challenge".....I'll talk to you later.
    Joe

3. OK, I've looked and had no luck. So, what is a 'Shock and awe'?

4. Our digital camera at the shop doesn't seem to want to do any macro work, so this was the best picture that I could find.
    The fly on the left is a 'shock and awe.' If you look at 'Ibn's' personal gallery you will see a fair number of examples in the mouths of various fish.
    The apropriate size cone is a Spirit River 'Cross Eyed Cone' in the 1/4 size.
    The tube is an HMH 'Micro' tube. The following is a detailed description of how to tie the fly. I believe that the description deals with a larger version, so you may need to scale down the amount for a 'beach' sized fly.

1. Prepare an HMH cut to length tube:
    a) cut to desired length (minimum of about 11/2”)
    b) burn the rear end of the tube
    2. Place the tube in the vise and make a quick thread base approximately ½” behind the front of the tube. This is important! Although you will extend materials forward of this point, do not apply thread any farther forward.
    3. Tie approximately 12 strands of U.V. Krystal Flash on top of the Slinky Fibre.
    4. On the bottom of the tube tie in a shorter bunch of white Slinky Fibre, allowing a slightly shorter amount of the fibers to extend beyond the front of the fly.
    5. Tie on top of the tube, a chunk of Slinky Fibre. This should extend both, beyond the front of the tube and behind it as well, the front portion will be folded back and will become the back of the baitfish.
    6. What you should have at this point is two (almost) identical baitfish ‘kissing’ one another in the middle of the tube.
    7. Remove the tube from the vise.
    8. Slide a Crosseyed Cone over the front of the tube. This will fold all of the materials that were extending beyond the front of the tube to the rear. It will also fill the void that exists inside and behind the head of most cone-heads.
    9. Force the Cone as far back against the tie in point as possible.
    10. There should be approximately 1/8” of tube extending beyond the front of the cone. If necessary cut the tube.
    11. With a lighter burn the tube so that it flares and holds the cone firmly against the folded materials. It is often necessary to keep a Bodkin handy and to re-open the opening at the front of the tube, while it is still warm.
    12. Hang the fly upside down (a clothespin and line work well).
    13. Fill the void inside of the Crosseyed Cone with Epoxy.

Anil
    www.pugetsoundflyco.com

Attached Files:

5. So you should have been there yesterday. That was the story today.

I fished Browns Point today with no takers but what a great looking spot. I don't think I could draw up a point to fish any better than that. I guess it was just one of those days. The wind was a pain early but things settled down about 10. I find it hard to believe but I have not seen anything in print about Browns point. Has anyone got anything to add?

On to the the narrows after the low slack. The sun had come out and brought the wind with it. No white caps but tough casting. The tide and the wind were not working together. At least I could not find anyone else that had caught a fish so I didn't feel too bad.

All in all I had a great day away from work. I want fish Browns Point again. What a great looking spot.

6. Went out to the Narrows View park for about 4 hours in the late afternoon/evening on a strong incloming tide. Alot of fishermen, but not alot of fish. The seals and sea lions were working it pretty heavily outside of casting distance. I saw three "keepers" getting caught out of about 10 fishermen. Also few little ones, either sea-runs or other salmonids big enough to put their mouths around the hook; including the 7 inch bull trout I caught. First time, I caught one of those in the salt. Only one other strike. Pretty slow overall.

7. I fished for three hours on the big morning outgoing tide Sunday. I fished my popper and turned over a dozen fish and hooked a half dozen. I caught a Puget Sound Grand Slam, if you can call it that – a silver of about 16", a searun cutthroat of 12" and a blackmouth of 18." Two other flyfishers connected on blackmouth also. We were the only three people out.

Leland.

8. Got to love those poppers!

9. Leland:

What do you fish for your popper?

Thanks!

10. I fish my popper for searun cutthroat, coho, and blackmouth here in the sound. I have also caught, flounder, lings, and big bulls. Friends have caught snook, baby tarpon and roosters. Last August, I caught an 8lb. bluefish off Sacony Point in Rhode Island.

Leland.

11. Oh one other thing. Tuesday evening, I spoke at the Inland Empire Fly Fishing Club in Spokane on fishing my popper in Puget Sound. One of the members has been using it for the last two years in Alaska for coho instead of a pollywog.

Leland.

12. Leland, I had a 12 pound native Coho attack your popper on the Lost River in Alaska last Labor Day. It came up on the surface about 6 feet behind the popper. It looked like a torpedo homing in on the popper. Great fun.

13. Leland:

PIC?

14. The fly, photo and tying instructions are on PugetSoundFlyFishing.com

15. How's that fly for hook-ups? It looks like a lot of material around the hook? What's your experience with short strikes?

16. Jason, the Miyawaki Popper has a stinger hook on the rear end of the popper to limit short strikes, while the front hook is clipped off and serves only to carry the material on the front of the lure. So the business end of that popper already sits back farther than a standard fly to increase hook ups that might otherwise be lost to short strikes. It seems to effectively deal with a large percentage of what otherwise might be short striking fish, while limiting the fly to one single hook and not two.

17. Thanks Salt Dog, I don't know that I could have stated it any better than you.

Leland.

18. Leland,
    the design of your popper is one of those things that is so brilliantly simple I wish that I would have figured it out so I could look real smart too.

As it is, just learning all of the different ways of teasing different fish up to the surface with it is gong to take a lifetime!

19. I am a huge fan of the popper. I've hooked big cuts and big coho right off our beaches..that thing is amazing. I did well at the Narrows last week. I edit in Tacoma so I get to go down there every evening. It seems the evening is the best. Allthough I have not tried the popper there, I seem to do well with crazy plankton dead drifting as the current pulls it on the outgoing tide. Like swinging an emerger or steelhead fly in a river. I watch these little silvers roll right near shore they act like adults rolling in the river . It's very interesting. Here's a pic.....tight lines.
    you can view full size in redfives gallery