Nassau Info?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by fishintom, Apr 16, 2012.

1. fishintom

fishintom Member

Media:
    Looking for a guide in Nassau for September for 2 or 3 days of fishing, mostly interested in bones. I've seen a couple of guides advertising for around $700 for a full day, but there's gotta be a cheaper option without going the DIY route. (I'd be more interested in paying $300-400 if possible) Any info about the area, or guides would be much appreciated!

2. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

I was just in Cable Beach last weekend for relaxing with a little fishing where possible. Wind was blowing 15-25 every day so I only threw a baited line out on the sandy beach but hooked nothing but an errant manta ray. It was wild to watch the ray swim well off the beach, turn hard into the beach at my bait and get caught. Pulled the hook open on the first very long run. If I'd seen fish and the wind behaved I would have tried the fly too. Oh Andros at Fish Fry (Arawak Cay) was excellent. We bought fresh fish / conch at Potter's Cay under the Paradise Island bridge which we cooked at the house. Uncle Nellis at Potter's Cay made a mean conch salad too. We had a great taxi driver called Leo and can get a number for him if you need it. The jitney buses for $1.25 per segment were a good deal for getting around too. I think they stop at 7pm though. Soda / juice were much cheaper in the Super Value grocery stores as to be expected. Barritt's Ginger Beer and Bacardi Anejo rum make a mean Dark 'n' Stormy! :)

Given how expensive most things are there I doubt you'll get on a boat for $400 / day but maybe you can find someone to take you wade fishing for $200 as a guess. If you can find someone to split a trip you could get the cost down. You can always leave your name / number with the guides and tell them you're only interested in splitting a trip. Try Dan Blanton's board to look for someone to split with. I carried on flies and small jigs up to 1/0 on the plane both leaving the US and returning from the Bahamas. I think I had heard bad things about Bahamian security keeping flies in carryons but it was no problem as I checked with several other guys packing fly rods at the airport. Smaller airports might be different. Precleared US immigration in Nassau which was 1.5 hrs of standing with frustrated, delayed passengers and crying babies so show up early.